Recent content by Tip

1. Tip

801 Repair Guidance Thread

Your 801F and my 801M tweeters are more different than I expected for being only a couple of years apart. From the construction, wiring, and part ID (TXS vs. TMS), it appears that they each were made for their respective models. Best Regards, Tip
  2. Tip

801 Repair Guidance Thread

My 801M Series 2 (serial numbers 13 & 14) have a date of October 1987, but I believe the model wasn't announced until 1988 (mine originally belonged to the Midwest US sales rep). @ferrousmike: I bought the "Matrix 801 L/E Upgrade Kit" 30 years ago (updated crossovers and new tweeters) and still...
  3. Tip

Show us your Cars

The SAAB version of the Subaru WRX wagon back when GM owned SAAB and a percentage of Subaru. I had a 1978 Turbo SAAB hatchback and a 2002 WRX wagon. I always thought the SAAB 9-5 was better looking than my WRX, although the bug-eyed WRX grew on me.
  4. Tip

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Essentially you're both right. There are some digital processors that allow the maximum output level go above 0 dB, but this really is meant to be used for sources that have a very low output. For example, if you have a 24-bit ADC that has a 2 Vrms input range and an analog source (e.g. a phono...
  5. Tip

Review and Measurements of Lyngdorf RoomPerfect EQ

Here are photos of the first TacT RCS, the RCS 2.2 (note "NAD ELECTRONICS LTD - MADE IN USA" on the back panel):
  6. Tip

Boz started another company in Albuquerque, NM (at the same address as TacT Audio) called Pontilux (https://www.pontilux.com/Default.php) that does LED lighting for mines and other industrial applications. Boz closed TacT Audio and Boz Audio about a decade ago. Emotiva Audio was going to license...
  7. Tip

BTW, McIntosh licensed RoomPerfect from Steinway Lyngdorf to use in its more recent A/V processors (e.g. MX160 & MX122) and MEN220 Room Correction System processor.
  8. Tip

Show us your Cars

That's true, but the C5 still wasn't all that stiff. The Z06 version of the C5 had a magnesium-reinforced fixed roof to make it stiffer. Side note: I worked at the same company and lived in the same neighborhood as Barb Hamilton-Advey (first woman in drag racing to receive an NHRA license for...
  9. Tip

Show us your Cars

When I bought my C5 Corvette I also was looking at the Boxster and the M3. The C5 was the only one where the steering wheel was directly in front of the driver's seat, plus it had a heads-up display; the others had the steering wheel a few inches off-center (I hate that!) The C5 also had a huge...
  10. Tip

Review and Measurements of Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Amp & EQ (Part 1)

Does this occur only with RoomPerfect engaged or also without?
  11. Tip

Show us your Cars

I agree that Graz_lag's post was a dig at Trump. However, the HellCat and Demon do have German engineering in them; they are derived from the Chrysler 300 which was derived from the Mercedes-Benz E-Class platform when Daimler owned Chrysler.
  12. Tip

I could be wrong -- this is conjecture on my part, but it makes for a good story! I assume it was NAD since the first two pre-pros to appear on Dirac's website were from NAD and Emotiva, and the next companies came much later. Nice pair of double W210s. My TacT W410s are one pair of maple...
  13. Tip

Show us your Cars

It hasn't been a problem. I've never had to add oil between the scheduled oil & filter changes. This was one of the good model years (2011) for the WRX. Consumer Reports said its biggest problem is the transmission, but being 66 years old I don't drive it like the kids do (dropping the clutch at...
  14. Tip

Show us your Cars

Last of the hatchback WRXs, with STI short-throw shifter and performance exhaust (I previously had a 2002 WRX Sportwagon.) C5 Corvette with rare Pewter paint and Firethorn Red interior combination. WRX is slightly quicker than the C5 (and much quicker than current WRXs) to 60mph. Seven Axiom SL...
  15. Tip

As Amir had noted in Part 1, Peter Lyngdorf had been one of the early pioneers in room correction. Boz had designed the correction system, or as Peter referred to it, the "DSP engines" for the TacT processors. (See the attached clip of the post Peter had written on Audiogon in 2001 about how...
Top Bottom