Recent content by Tim Link

1. T

High Sensitivity Speakers

Yes, I'm using a modified Behringer crossover to do time alignment. I had hopes with the original coaxial tweeter configuration that with time and level alignment the waves would merge and eliminate diffraction. It didn't really work that way because the areas of the horn mouths didn't even come...
  2. T

Thanks! Yes, my friend who was skilled at woodworking built the cedar grills, a well as the rest of the speakers. I assisted. They originally had a grill cloth which hid the fact from unknowing eyes that the large cabinets in the corners were actually speakers. At some point a plant watering...
  3. T

I'd like to hear those! Here's what I'm looking at :p
  4. T

I'm sitting here listening to my 91" tall horn stacks and pondering the sound. I think the perception of dynamics even at low listening levels is largely caused by room interaction issues due to the directionality of the speaker. Sensitivity or efficiency may just be a surrogate for dispersion...
  5. T

Measure your C50 in REW and tell us how your bass sounds!

I like those samples on concerthalls.org! The lower C80 is certainly appropriate in larger halls for producing music. I think I liked the two lowest measurements the best for that trumpet example. Of course it depends on what they're trying to do with the music but I like hearing a large...
  6. T

Vinyl is not as bad as I expected.

There's so much crosstalk from the sound from each speaker reaching the wrong ear that it swamps whatever the cartridge is doing. Plus, I believe the crosstalk generated by the cartridge motion is out of phase, which is interesting. I'm not sure how much crosstalk is baked into the groove...
  7. T

Vinyl is not as bad as I expected.

I'll agree that despite all it's issues vinyl can produce some enjoyable sound, as can cassette tape. My girlfriend years ago had Leonard Cohen album on CD-R that someone had ripped for her. I always thought that sounded lovely when she played it as low level background music. One evening I put...
  8. T

(Informal) Chat with Dr. Earl Geddes of GedLee Audio

Interesting that some masking actually increases at high volume. Also that Ford found out that people aren't happy if their sound system doesn't distort when they turn it up. I've also never heard of diffraction being thought of as a kind of group delay.
  9. T

Pics of mega-expensive equipment in horrible rooms

Because of those big horns it might not be as bad as you'd think.
  10. T

Seriously, Those horns with a beautiful wood finish would look fantastic in that room!
  11. T

It's so over the top! Ken Fritz too! I can't stop giggling. And I thought I was taking it too far.
  12. T

This is more my operating scale, and my typical look and style. Sort of a science lab with wires and bits and pieces of things lying around. I'd be quite at home in there. I won't give you any interior decorating advice, but I'll bet some acoustic treatments could make a big difference in there...
  13. T

I suspect I'd love the way that room with those speakers sounds. Lots of diffusive surfaces, the angled ceiling as Robin mentioned, plenty of space, nice carpets on the floor, gigantic speakers; I think that would work for me. Anybody know more about who's room that is? Those speakers sort of...
  14. T

Preamplifier multichannel (more than 7 channels) with remote and headphone amp

This may sound funny but I once used two preamps. Pointed the remote right between them and it controlled both volumes in sync. I needed 10 channels at the time and there just wasn't anything.
Top Bottom