Recent content by Thunder240

1. T

Class D multichannel amps — mixing and matching

Hi all, im currently running a 9.1 Dolby Atmos home theater system using a Marantz receiver. Five of the nine channels (LCR and 2 of the surrounds) are driven by a NHT Power5 amp that I’ve owned since 2008. It’s one of the early class D ICEPower amps, containing 2x 500ASP and 3x 500A modules...
  2. T

dbx 223xs Crossover Review

Several posts in this thread have mentioned noise floor and hiss (or lack thereof), so I thought I’d share my experience. I used to own a dbx (by Harmon) 223s. This is the version with TRS sockets instead of XLR, but otherwise identical to the 223xs. I used it in an unbalanced configuration...
  3. T

Review and Measurements of Allo DigiOne RPI S/PDIF

@Buckeye Amps this is my setup exactly. I use Mac Mini running BubbleUPnP Server exposing OpenHome endpoint configured for Qobuz connection, 192/24 gapless playback. I have an RPi with Allo DigiOne Sig board (running MoOde, formerly Volumio). It is connected to a DAC over SPIDF (RCA...
  4. T

Pad Replacement for Oppo PM-3

Folks, I’d like to try some Dekoni hybrid (velour/sheepskin) pads, but their website doesn’t list any Oppo fitments. Does anyone know if there I are any equivalent fitments from other brands that work for the PM3?
  5. T

Well, since you recommended the Shanti earlier in this thread, I figured you had some experience with it.
  6. T

Echoing the preceding question, I’m well aware that @amirm ’s testing of SMPS and LPS units to power DACs has demonstrated that any DC noise that is passed along is filtered by the DAC to inaudible levels. However, with streamers like the Digione, is that still the case? Especially for something...
  7. T

Best OS/server to stream Tidal/Qobuz via Raspberry PI

I take it that the MQA light pops on? Even though I don’t listen MQA and have no immediate desire to, this would be good info. Any particular settings you had to enable on Volumio to get the bit perfect MQA to pass thru?
  8. T

Perhaps this is splitting hairs, and it’s covered within the overall category of MQA being a lossy format, but I’d add a 3rd area: during encoding they apply some sort of special sauce which the dislikers (including me) view as an alteration to the original master
  9. T

The RPi4 can output via USB to your DAC if that’s your preferred way to connect, but you aren’t locked into USB. There are quite a few I2S daughter cards available for the RPi that do an excellent job of producing a SPIDF or Toslink audio output, if you’d rather go that route. On ASR, you can...
  10. T

@SJ777 gave a good summary. Certainly the way the way that Volumio would prefer you use it to play Qobuz is exactly as described (and again, you will pay a monthly fee to Volumio over and above your Qobuz subscription fee). As stated, it is also possible to use Volumio is the same way you would...
  11. T

Review and Measurements of Grace Design m900 DAC & Amp

Thanks for the response. The m902 is a different beast, so I don’t know that I can generalize to the m9xx, but if the m9xx’s anti-jitter texhnology is a trickledown from the m902, then that’s a good sign.
  12. T

Marantz SR6014 AVR Review

Interesting. Do you know if Zone 2 uses a different topology (eg one DAC for both channels vs one DAC per channel), which might affect how volume control is handled? Also, is the different DAC implementation on the HEOS input in addition to the SPIDF/HDMI connections? Like you, I’m just curious...
  13. T

Review and Measurements of Grace Design m900 DAC & Amp

M900/m9xx owners, I’m considering purchase of a used m9xx at approximately half price. My use case would be for headphone listening only, and the source would be toslink. any experience using the toslink input? e.g. is jitter or distortion audibly worse than the usb input, which @amirm tested?
Top Bottom