Recent content by Thorskin

1. Thorskin

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

Do I understand correctly that I can finally get rid of my AVR and just use my TV + Shield + 5 Genelecs + this minidsp Flex HT? I would love this to be true, it would allow me to get rid of my TV cabinet and just mount everything to the back of my TV. It would be much more energy efficient than...
  2. Thorskin

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

Hmm i think there may be some confusion. At the moment I'm using my Denon AVR with my 5 Genelecs speakers. Even though the speakers are powered the AVR still uses a lot of energy and pumps out a lot of heat. Energy prices in the UK are crazy right now. What I meant by attaching it to the back...
  3. Thorskin

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

I'm actually thinking about getting this to go with my Genelec active speakers as a nice simple low energy setup. I could probably even attach it to the back of the TV along with my Nvidia Shield and get rid of my TV cabinet. I hate having to turn my Denon AVR on to watch or listen to anything...
  4. Thorskin

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

Is there anyway to plug in my Genelec 8010 (XLR to RCA on AVR Preouts) over a distance of 20-30m (Around the room) without any loss of quality? I'm using them as my rear speakers paired with 8030s in the front. I know that XLR is great over long distances, but unfortunately my AVR does not have...
  5. Thorskin

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

How safe would it be to rely on the preamp of this DAC? I want to use it straight into a pair of active speakers but I'm worried of any software glitches causing the volume to default to max. (Had happened before with my Allo boss Volumio steamer and it was awful) I have been using my Schiit...
  6. Thorskin

Replacing preamp with a mixer?

If I replace my preamp for a mixer to have 3-5 different inputs connected to the same active speakers at the same time will there be a big degradation in sound? I use a lot of devices with the same set of speakers and hate having to switch inputs each time. I was thinking of something like a...
  7. Thorskin

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

Is there anyway to use a single RPi (i have the RPi3b) with an Allo Boss v1.2 DAC for Tidal (with Tidal connect) + Kodi for watching movies? My goal is to have 3 configurations for my setup. RPi (Tidal) + 2.0 Genelecs for music RPi (Kodi) + TV + 2.0 Genelecs for everyday TV (stereo) HTPC +...
  8. Thorskin

Upgrading Stereo Genelecs to Surround dilemma, Unbalanced signal at long length or new Subwoofer?? Or other solution??

Oh I see, so the majority of the length will be balanced until it reaches the short XLR to RCA length. Am I understanding correctly? Or would it just work as a long length of unbalanced cable but it's short enough to be fine anyway?
  9. Thorskin

I see, I understand now, we went for another 8030. We won't be able to pull out the TV as much but at least I won't have the "what if" feeling.
  10. Thorskin

I'm still considering the 8010 as a center speaker but I don't want to make the wrong decision. I know people have suggested that it is not powerful enough for home theatre use but are they just talking about volume? Because my partner and I do not watch movies loudly. I would love the center to...
  11. Thorskin

Upgrading Stereo Genelecs to Surround dilemma, Unbalanced signal at long length or new Subwoofer?? Or other solution??

Oh nice, I wonder if it's worth learning how to solder a cable to insure I get a cable with quality components. I'm finding it hard to buy a premade cable like that at the length I need.
  12. Thorskin

That's a good idea, my worry was id be stuck with a cable that is useless. I thought Unbalanced can not be converted back to balanced.
  13. Thorskin

That's a shame, the 8010s are most likely the only ones that will fit and allow my TV to be pulled out (it's on an wall mounted arm). Is it mostly due to volume that it is not suitable? Our room is quite small and we don't listen very loud. We would be sitting about 1.5-2m away from the center...
  14. Thorskin

I plan to expand my new Genelec 8030 stereo system by getting some 8010s for the center and surrounds but I think I may have a problem. The rear 8010s will need around 20-25m of cable to reach the AVR because it has to go around the room. (No other option) My AVR preouts are RCA so I will...
  15. Thorskin

I wish I could, unfortunately the 8010 is the only one that will fit unless I change my TV cabinet. If the 8010 really won't be good enough then I will consider getting a new cabinet.
Top Bottom