Recent content by The Sentinel

1. T

SE to Balanced will help?

As thread stater, I’m getting aware of valuable concepts. When noise gets IN the signal cannot be cleaned up by going to balanced. MC cartridges require a lot more of care, investment and patience; do not expect fully clean signal from MC cartridges without all that. My system runs beautiful...
  2. T

Hehe, yes just saw that, those are step up transformers only and not full phono preamps; if they do the job of amplifying without noise then they’re worth the cost.
  3. T

Wow!, looks like the right upgrade from the Mani2. Thanks!
  4. T

Yes, it is a win indeed, it is not audible even at 90dB at the sweet spot.
  5. T

One of the many tests that I did today was exactly that one I need didn’t work. Actually, I tested grounding directly to the ground wire that goes in the electrical installation of the house that I am totally certain that is very well grounded to the land. Nothing worked so, I think it is not a...
  6. T

My lack of technical knowledge is what made me buy the preamp, if I had the technical knowledge I would had built mine
  7. T

Well, you are right on that, maybe my expectation is way too high, actually, I never play vinyl at such a high volume
  8. T

Well, that seems like a very good idea, thank you very much! right now with the Mani2 is working with 62dB of gain and I can reduce to 40
  9. T

Hello and thanks for replying! I was not able to change the Mani2 PSU as it is an AC PSU and I don’t have another one at hand. I guess I’m contacting Schiit to ask for a replacement. I do not think that I am going to look for a replacement on my side, I prefer to wait for Schiit’s answer. No way...
  10. T

A few years ago I just could not resist the temptation of buying a Schiit Mani and use it instead of the internal phono stage of the NAD preamp; it happened that it improved the sound quality but, still, the noise floor of that Mani was kind of high so I went for the Mani2 and it happened to...
  11. T

Hello, excellent point, let me elaborate: At my listening position, using the cheap sound meter app of the iphone, I read an average of 31dB-A; it is a fairly silent room and that is the situation at any time any day fortunately; well, if I set the gain of the preamp to the very maximum, the...
  12. T

Hello, yes, the tonearm has a terminal that is connected to the Mani2 ground. Those shunts seem like a good way to locate where's the problem, thanks, will do!
  13. T

Hello, thanks for replying. No, the hum is not heard at normal listening levels; only at VERY high gain of the amplifier and I almost never use such amount of voltage. Yes, I am going to do some testing changing the cables. Yes, there is a ground cable in between the tonearm and the Mani2; both...
  14. T

Hello! When pushed all the way up in the preamp gain I am getting 14dB of noise from one of my sources, all others make nothing, zero, nada, of noise at that highest gain of the preamp. The source that has noise is connected this way: -Cartridge - Ortofon Quintet Black S (MC low output) -Tonearm...
  15. T

Schiit Mani 2 Review (Phono Stage)

I received my Mani2 yesterday and compared it vs the Mani original that I’ve had for 4 years and vs the Project Tube Box S2 that I ordered from Amazon days ago. I use a Ortofon Quintet Black S. The Mani2 easily outperformed its predecessor in terms of noise floor and was a bit better than the...
Top Bottom