Recent content by ThatSoundsGood

1. ThatSoundsGood

How Much Subwoofer Is Enough?

Is there really much content below 20Hz? And Below 10Hz????? You have a remarkably flat frequency response in the low end. Instead of more subs, you should probably get some main speakers so you can hear what's happening above 120Hz. It sounds a lot better, especially with dialogue.
  2. ThatSoundsGood

FIR for hypex fusion plate!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-bronco-diy-studio-monitor.52660/ This is a build that I did with a Hypex Plate amp. I did some basic documenting of the results. I have a ton of capacitors, inductors and resistors for the reason that you stated above. I have to...
  3. ThatSoundsGood

I don't really know anything on YouTube about it. I found some info on message boards and went with it but I'm used to active DSP so I was familiar with what needs to be done. A well implemented active crossover can definitely be superior in my experience since you can get a better phase and...
  4. ThatSoundsGood

I don't really know the answer to that. You will have to try it and take measurements to see how the impulse response and phase look. I would imagine that it should work just fine.
  5. ThatSoundsGood

It's 1500 taps per filter on the output OR 4500 taps globally. If you use them on the output then you're using them in the crossover. If you use them on the input then you're using them globally which is not effecting the crossover, but it will affect the overall phase. If you use it globally...
  6. ThatSoundsGood

PK Sound steerable sound arrays

Excellent assessment. Live sound is certainly difficult to make work in many of the highly reverberant venues out there. The low end issues are similar to what we see in living rooms, just on a larger level. We shoot for high fidelity and even accomplish it from time to time but given the...
  7. ThatSoundsGood

That's a new perspective. I work in the pro audio world and I rarely encounter anyone who wants it to sound worse......Ha! What do you mean about performance standards being somewhat less than an audiophile might want at home?
  8. ThatSoundsGood

Absolutely true. With cardioid subs, sub steering, and now waveguide steering we will have the ability to customize every venue even more. PK's developments are the future of live sound.
  9. ThatSoundsGood

Hi, another Pro Sound guy here. I'm not sure of the situation where they ground stacked the PA, but you have some misinformation here. First, Clair didn't return that PA. PK bought it back and they only rent the Trinity for use. Clair would have kept it because that PA was for Derks Bentley...
  10. ThatSoundsGood

It's more than legit. The PK stuff, when used properly, is a major advancement in modern sound technology. The ability to steer the array AFTER it's flown is massive in order to keep reflections off of walls and make sure that the crowd is properly covered. Plus, it's a really low distortion...
  11. ThatSoundsGood

8 Channel amp: Buckeye vs VTV vs Monoprice

I own two different Buckeye Hypex amplifiers and they are amazing performers. The cases are just black. They look great, but aren't fancy. That is one way to keep the cost down.
  12. ThatSoundsGood

"The Bronco" DIY Studio Monitor

We talked about another build. Ultimately, these were just the wrong speakers for the space and I agreed with everything that he was saying. I needed a design with woofers that handle more power and have less low end. I could have faked it a bit with these by using a high pass filter and some...
  13. ThatSoundsGood

FIR filters for the win.
  14. ThatSoundsGood

The walls are 1 and 3/8" thick. 3/4" plywood, 1/8" mass loaded vinyl then 1/2" MDF. Bracing is 3/4" MDF. They weigh over 80 pounds each. Ha!
  15. ThatSoundsGood

This project started with a friend who wanted me to make studio monitors for him. He loved the mid-range (no surprise due to the FIR filters) but the low end ran out of gas too soon so he didn't end up wanting to keep them. So, I painted them white and flew them in my garage. These things...
Top Bottom