Recent content by TerrestrialCephalopod

1. T

I Dream of Maggies

Not sure if it applies to all configurations or just the Black/Cherry combo I requested, but I was quoted at 10-12 weeks for manufacturing. They must be quite popular. The last lead time I found was 6-8 weeks from about 8 months ago. T_C
  2. T

I Dream of Maggies

HA! I checked back in this morning and was quite surprised. You'll excuse me if I reserve my opinions on the topic. Meanwhile, I've placed an order for a pair of LRS. The lead time is fairly long right now so it'l be a while before I can post the full setup, but I'll be back here to share all...
  3. T

I Dream of Maggies

Too true. Almost anything will be better than my current old, cheap 5.1 system and very, very, cheap bluetooth module. So the Magnepan's, even poorly positioned, are still strongly in the running. Though LRS and a couple subs might be a more attractive entry point than 1.7i's.
  4. T

I Dream of Maggies

Okay. Sorry for the relative silence from my end. Been a hectic couple days. Lots to cover... Here are my thoughts as it stands now: 1. Almost certainly going to go with the miniDSP SHD for a main streamer/source. I like the expand-ability that the 4 output channels provide, makes it easy to...
  5. T

I Dream of Maggies

Funny enough the Magnepan demo that made this lasting impression started with ”Enter Sandman”. After reading a bit more about optimal placement, I’m approaching a solution where there’s a “daily use” position that doesn’t disrupt the usability of the living room and a ”correct” position for...
  6. T

I Dream of Maggies

With 1.7i's I could do a used or new XPA-2 and not break the budget. I'd hope 490W into 4ohms would be enough for some future proofing. T_C
  7. T

I Dream of Maggies

Almost missed responding to your questions. Right now all I really have are headphones (O2+ODAC --> HD650's) and I don't typically go crazy with those volume-wise. I do want to go loud with the stereo though. It's going to frequently be used for background music while we're in the next room...
  8. T

I Dream of Maggies

I can't deny that there's some gear lust related to the mystique of magneplanar speakers, but I can also recognize that it's illogical. It is a little magical that those gossamer panels can fill the room with music. On the practical side, buying Magnaplanar's would mean I also have a power amp...
  9. T

I Dream of Maggies

Oh man. I guess I'm glad I have plenty of time to figure this out. Getting into that thread is just link after link of good info and more discussions. Down the rabbit hole I go... T_C
  10. T

I Dream of Maggies

Bonus points for a novel suggestion! It's very true that I WANT maggies. But that doesn't mean they're the best choice. I'm often wrong. Like OdysseusG said above, they're going to be a bit stuffed into the corners and that may be more of a hindrance than I'm accounting for. I'll give reference...
  11. T

I Dream of Maggies

Stereo subs would be awesome if I could fit them in the budget. Perhaps as a future upgrade. The room is roughly 12'6"x17'10"x8' (WxDxH). Seating position is ~14' from the front wall.
  12. T

I Dream of Maggies

sm5, Is there anything in particular that makes you like the .7's more than the 1.7's? I've read that the 1.7i's are generally superior to the 1.7, but would need to test with my own ears to verify. Haven't found measurements or real data to quantify the changes yet. There's a showroom less...
  13. T

I Dream of Maggies

I am stunned by the level of response this has garnered. Thank you all so much! I've got a lot to think about and review now. As much as I wish I could make used 3.7's or even 3.6's work what I've seen in the used market so far doesn't look like it'll fit in the budget. I think Bald1 is right...
  14. T

I Dream of Maggies

Thanks for the tip. I've got no problem with buying used for this project, I'll poke around there later tonight.
  15. T

I Dream of Maggies

SIY, I just want to compliment you on your Zardoz avatar. I love that movie.
Top Bottom