Recent content by tcpip

1. T

miniDSP Flex

I can see one reason why the SHD will be less useful than the three-box combo you listed. The three-box combo can deliver an HDMI output, run LibreElec, and play video. The SHD is audio-only. I have been using an RPi with a Hifiberry Digi+ to run LibreElec, for perhaps 5 years now. I don't know...
  2. T

DIY Streamer

Does this have an HDMI output? Can I load LibreElec on it and play video as well as audio? I've been looking at other RPi based streamers too, which have been integrated with excellent DACs (there is the Allo Boss2 and the RaspDAC models from Audiophonics) but as far as I can make out, none of...
  3. T

Speaker protection

The Guardian 86 is a great choice, I think. The latest version of the Guardian86 has disconnected the speaker return line from the system ground, therefore it can be used for bridged amps too. There's another option, more DIY...
  4. T

Active crossover types

Understood. Thanks a lot. I have never dabbled in FIR, because I don't know anything about it, like a lot of novices who enter the DSP domain from the analog side. I'll need to read up I think.
  5. T

Active crossover types

Wow, this is the steepest I've heard any designer go. I'm guessing that this is all DSP active? Hard to imagine building such slopes in the analog domain. Why do you need to do such steep slopes? Which tools give you such slopes? I've seen support only for about 8th order in most tools. Do...
  6. T

Active crossover types

Whether I have overstated the problem is a matter of opinion. If I have to adopt your point of view, 80% or more of the drivers I find excellent will become unusable because their even and flat response region will not be wide enough for my use. I would hate to let go of so much choice, in the...
  7. T

Active crossover types

Good question. How much is wide enough? For most "well behaved" drivers with no huge resonance distortion amplification or ugly cone breakups, you are ok if your xo pushes the driver's output down by about 30dB or more. This means that if your driver's output is well behaved till the xo pushes...
  8. T

DIY Streamer

No, I am sorry, but I too have only anecdotal evidence.
  9. T

DIY Streamer

Yes, this is a real possibility on the RPi 4. The earlier RPi had a messed up implementation of the USB controller chip or something, and was not suitable for jitter-free streaming. But the appeal of the PecanPi is that it's a single box, and at the same time it's one of the best DACs around...
  10. T

Active crossover types

Rod's crossover can't prevent you from changing values of components. You can change the frequency and Q-setting component values freely (they are all R and C) without having to change the circuit schematic. But in order to decide the new values, you'll need to use a crossover simulator which...
  11. T

Active crossover types

On the matter of analog vs digital active xo, one point is often missed by newbies. When newbies build analog active crossovers, they almost always build "stock" crossovers, i.e. textbook "knee" and slope, or textbook values of Fc and Q. These are also the builders who get attracted to Rod...
  12. T

Amplifier distortion measurement depends on load resistor?

Thanks, this link was very useful -- it confirms that the type of resistor is important for such measurements.
  13. T

Amplifier distortion measurement depends on load resistor?

I wanted to know what kind of load Amir and others put when measuring amplifier distortion? Basically, you'll need to connect your audio analyser input or other ADC input in parallel to a high-wattage load, so that the amp can work at high volumes -- I'm referring to that dummy load. I was...
  14. T

Bluetooth 5.0 Cassette Player

I loved the Tapeless Deck Project. BIgger toys, but great rejuvenation of vintage decks. http://www.mp3tapelessdeck.pl/ This Polish gentleman has been doing this for the last few years.
Top Bottom