Recent content by TCD333

1. T

JPS Superconductor V USB Cable Review

WRT Grounding from PC to DAC, some DACs have full isolation, some don't. The best implementation is a/ full galvanic isolation b/ clocking on DAC side of said isolation c/ Re-clocking after isolation as isolation adds a small amount of jitter. I have no idea if any of the Topping / SMSL etc...
  2. T

NOS Burr-Brown PCM56 DAC with Tubes!!!

DAC's -> a/ Moon 430HA for it's flexibility of multiple IP's (sounds OK) b/ Whatever is coming through for repair or upgrades c/ Current project PCM1794 for a 'musical that measures' project d/ Sabaj A20D 2022 will be here shortly for a 'blameless measuring' constant or yardstick. The PCM63 can...
  3. T

NOS Burr-Brown PCM56 DAC with Tubes!!!

You've done a really nice job on that DAC and it actually measures quite respectably for what it is. Well done. WRT not identifying with audiophiles, 100% agree. WRT PCM63, those DAC's can sound *really* good. I think I actually have at least 2 x original K grade floating around used in old...
  4. T

Luxman SQ-N150 Review (Tube Amplifier)

100% on all points. However, I don't think many here will understand where you are coming from.
  5. T

Octave Music Don Grusin High Resolution Music Analysis (Video)

I'd say the 3dB difference in analog domain is probably the RME DAC. If he was using Prism H/W I'd be looking at that. Very unlikely to be HQplayer. TCD
  6. T

Yes, that looks about right. The DR spec for AKM DAC in ADI-2 is about 3dB worse in DSD mode. The Cosmos ADC (used for measurement) is really good. One of the very few ADC's to have very flat noise floor up to 100kHz -> great for WB measurements. TCD
  7. T

???? Surely you understand that whatever the NF is at DSD64, it will be lower at DSD256. You clearly stated that "DSD256 is still noisier than 44.1k PCM". I'm at a bit of a loss why but maybe it was a response to Miska's input which seems to have polarized a lot of people here. TCD
  8. T

All DSD measurements in the data sheet are at 64x. In the TI forum, application Engineers couldn't guarantee that it will run higher than DSD64. However this DAC has successfully been used by people at DSD256 rates and the max DSD clocking spec supports this. Maybe you could cut the...
  9. T

That's correct. You are looking at DSD64 not DSD256. You were asserting that "DSD256 is still noisier than 44.1k PCM" in band. This is just not the case.
  10. T

With -60dB the noise is basically the same. With DSD64 in Mono 9V OP mode the DR will be -130dB. With DSD256 it will reach the chips max of > -132dB. This is far in excess of 16 bit NF. So the format itself is capable of huge DR in audio band. Conversion software and hardware is another issue.
  11. T

Here is a PCM1792 (Mono mode) outputting -150dB signal in DSD64 mode. For DSD256 shift the noise lower and to the right. No in band problems to see here.
  12. T

My clients range from musicians to Pro Engineers to Audiophiles to just audio enthusiasts. Of all the audiophiles, more than 50% use non OS DACs. Looking at how many MB 0 x OS are available ATM, it's fair to say a lot are in use. It's a broken design technically and I don't use one personally...
  13. T

DSD was always promoted as having better transient response without ringing. This really is a similar thing. A slower (longer passband) linear phase LP filter will have better transient response sans ringing. BTW, Yes - I do understand Shannon / Nyquist namely that any material which would...
  14. T

Or 4th order Bessel / Linear Phase filter (Bessel slightly less steep than Butterworth but has better transient / phase response) My point WRT Zero OS DACs - I'm not aware of anyone that has had issues with speakers or amps.
  15. T

WRT political suicide: I think the idea was actually allow greater BW for filter transition band so as to avoid brick wall digital filters and still attain good image attenuation. From memory the recommended filter for DSD(64) was at 50kHz. I can't argue with your plots which clearly point to...
Top Bottom