Recent content by Tbart

1. T

Vintage HT help please

Here's a preliminary update of progress. I'm auditioning the unported KEF Q150s for R/C/L. Overall, the speakers call no attention to themselves, but perhaps less "ambient" than the RCA PRO LX-550s. The KEF 150 as a center speaker performs similarly to the previous PSB Image 8C on axis...
  2. T

Vintage HT help please

Thanks for your insight and nudging me in the right direction.
  3. T

Vintage HT help please

Erin's video illustrates your point about center speakers. Thanks for your prompt insights and nudging me in the right direction!
  4. T

Vintage HT help please

Thanks for your major contribution!
  5. T

Vintage HT help please

On February 7, I'm going to celebrate the one year anniversary of the ENLIGHTENING video "The problem with Most Center Channel Speakers" from Erin's Audio Corner by auditioning (3) KEF Q150s in my HT room for L-C-R. I purchased 2 open-box pairs with a 60-day return policy. Thanks to everyone...
  6. T

Vintage HT help please

How low can you go! Since we are considering L-C-R, I think the 5 1/4" woofer of the A130 is more suitable than the 4 1/2" of the A120.
  7. T

Vintage HT help please

found a receipt from June 2004 for my 2nd pair (rears for 5.1) of the LX-550s: $40 each; then, July 2004 the 3rd pair (sides for 7.1) were $30 each. So, if the refoam brings the anticipated rejuvenation, $80-90/speaker total isn't horrible. OTOH, a new JBL Studio A130 is $100. Hmmmm.
  8. T

Vintage HT help please

I found a receipt from June 2004 for my 2nd pair (rears for 5.1) of the LX-550s: $40 each; then, July 2004 the 3rd pair (sides for 7.1) were $30 each. So, if the refoam brings the anticipated rejuvenation, $80-90/speaker total isn't horrible. OTOH, a new JBL Studio A130 is $100. Hmmmm.
  9. T

Vintage HT help please

Novel solution for off-axis dispersion.
  10. T

Vintage HT help please

Gotta love inflation, right?
  11. T

Vintage HT help please

An estimate for refoam from a regional shop is $50/speaker.
  12. T

Vintage HT help please

I've had alot of help navigating! Any suggestions for the L-C-R? New front and center speakers buy time for staged refoaming of all the surround speakers.
  13. T

Vintage HT help please

(3) KEF Q150 vs (3) Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ vs (3) JBL Stage A-130 as L- C- R (surviving RCA PRO-LX500 as rear and surround)?
  14. T

Vintage HT help please

Thank you for the good suggestions. Three reasonably sized identical speakers across the front mitigates the dreaded off-axis decay in a relatively economical way.
  15. T

Vintage HT help please

TimW, You are on the on-ramp of my dilemma circle. If I decide to use the remaining RCAs as back and surround only, which bookshelf speakers for L and R, without a solid choice for center?
Top Bottom