Recent content by taisho

1. T

Subwoofer Comparison

Apart from more pronounced 16-40Hz, the Monoprice has a flatter frequency response above this range. More output doesn't mean better.
  2. T

Subwoofer Comparison

Seeing as Americans can buy Monolith 10'' at $420, there is no way I'm ever going to pay €600 ($696) on monoprice.eu. As if Danish Jamo being cheaper in the USA than the EU wasn't enough.
  3. T

Subwoofer Comparison

An essential part of useful product tests is finding relevant test subjects. Erin's selection came out as a huge success. Dayton SUB-1200 serves as a budget reference. Still, it didn't have much to say against Infinity R12 and Jamo c912 that we had no prior measurements of. Jamo c912 becomes the...
  4. T

Schiit Lokius Review (Equalizer)

Great, now we can get the frequency response with a measurement mic, find the problematic spots, and make it worse by turning the knobs on this medieval device. Let's hope it's the last of the bloodline.
  5. T

Subwoofer Comparison

It's horrible to live outside of the US when hunting for bang for the buck subwoofers. Especially sub (pun intended) $600. What ELAC offers is very underwhelming. Great work with the spreadsheet. Edit: there are subs available at monoprice.eu. Monolith 10" THX Select costs €600 with free...
  6. T

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

I planned to add this too, but then realized that maybe I'm wishing too much :)
  7. T

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Please combine the class D amp with something like DX3 Pro+ into a 3 in 1 device and add a switch for speakers/headphones output. After reaching the threshold of audibility and reducing the costs to a reasonable sum, multi-feature devices, and miniaturization are the only ways for significant...
  8. T

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

Thanks. AIYIMA completely destroys its competition quality-wise and the price is unbelievable. It's a very budget choice even by less wealthy countries' standards. I myself have AIYIMA TPA3251 and in my small room, it has enough power to be loud and clean. On this level of performance, the real...
  9. T

AIYIMA A05 Review (Budget Amplifier)

These tone controls alone would steer me away from buying it. I would be freaking out that I accidentally turn them and only after some time realize that the music doesn't sound as pleasant as it used to. Hardware EQ is so last century.
  10. T

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

A few weeks ago I finally had time to rearrange my room and started using ELACs again, listening to a lot of calm instrumental soundtracks. Today I tried to improve the quality of sound and ran tests in REW with UMIK-1 to find the optimal positioning of speakers and then apply EQ. During the...
  11. T

Klipsch The Three Review (Powered Speaker)

rtings.com tested a lot of soundbars, so filtered by the price it should give some idea of bargain quality ones.
  12. T

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

It's the other way round.
  13. T

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

Now that both DACs and headphone amps hit the wall of audibility in their performance, let's wait for more DAC + amp + pre-amp devices that measure equally well.
  14. T

Hifiman Sundara Review (headphone)

They may measure and sound well but Hifiman is known for subpar durability of headphones. So many Amazon reviews mention poor build quality or something breaking after N months (any Hifiman model) that I'm not even going to consider this brand. I wonder how my DT770 Pro 80 Ohm measure, maybe...
  15. T

Upgrade Path: Active Speakers with EQ, or Bargain Passive?

Frequency response adjustments need compromises. It is very possible that taming the range with the worst original performance, 50-250Hz, will not only directly improve this area but also enable altering the response in higher frequencies in a way that the resulting slope will be more uniform...
Top Bottom