Recent content by syn08

1. syn08

Huntsman wins battle with gecko

One reason I hate travelling to Aussie. Last time I found one of these 8 legs cuties in a Canberra hotel room bath tub. Set aside snakes, bugs, etc… the type and quantity of such dangerous/scary/ugly op amps is unbelievable. Kangaroos are mean. God forbid encountering an angry cassowary or...
  2. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Here's some more data to show the importance of "properly chosen". Two tantalum electrolytics were measured. a) Kyocera AVX 10uF/25V "orange drop" type. A few years ago, I purchased from DigiKey a bunch of these for recapping an old piece of ATE that was emitting the magic smoke when powered...
  3. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Here's an independent confirmation: 1. The setup schematic - DUT is allegedly the worse electrolytic I was able to find in my junkbox. Got them brand new about 20 years ago at a liquidation, 25pcs. for $1 and never used any of them. They are polar 100uF/100V certainly of Eastern origin, no...
  4. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Metal electromigration happens only at high current densities (voltage is largely irrelevant), 8-10 orders of magnitude higher than currents in bipolar caps.
  5. syn08

Capacitor distortion

No. This is a DC (or quasi static, if you prefer) problem, not AC.
  6. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Yes, but for coupling applications it is not needed (let’s put it bluntly: it is useless), if both caps support the peak voltage. One cap will limit the current through during the half cycle it is biased normally to it's leakage, which is a non dangerous values. Bipolar caps are build exactly...
  7. syn08

Capacitor distortion

No need to state the obvious; every engineer worth the salt knows what cap type to use where. Those who don't (like using high K caps for coupling, undersizing coupling electrolytics, ignore the bias conditions, etc...), are paying the price of ignorance. BTW, bipolar electrolytics are widely...
  8. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Come on boys. Let's get back to the topic at hand.
  9. syn08

Capacitor distortion

…of which you still did not answer the main question. All you have shown is that bad electrolytics do exist, otherwise your sweeping statement “I would never use electrolytics…” is nothing but FUD. And thats before going into things like threshold of audibility.
  10. syn08

Capacitor distortion

New deflection. Because you mentioned it, respect must be earned. So far, you failed miserably.
  11. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Because you mentioned above B+. Last time I've checked, this is the common denomination for tube amplifier power supply voltage. I understand perfectly, and I maintain the effect of the last cap in the supply is virtually zero (except in pathologically bad designs). I don't give a Schiit if any...
  12. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Forgot to post the THD vs. level loop results, @50Hz. For comparison purposes, same scale and units are used. 44.1KHz sampling rate Lesson learned: your loop THD and THD+N vs. level @50Hz are about 6-15db worse compared to my ES98220+ES9038PRO loop. I would certainly suspect the D10...
  13. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Ok, have it your way. Call frequency response "linearity", then shift the focus to tube amplifier power supply design. Flashnews, the filter cap ESR is a non issue for any competent designed power supply, except perhaps SMPS's (which are not about LF ripple). If ESR is a problem, then it is...
  14. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Ok, but I am pretty confident that extra few ohms ESR has virtually zero effect on the frequency response (or "linearity", as you put it) for any decent input impedance. Example: 1k (which is already very low) input impedance with 100uF coupling capacitor has a 3dB corner frequency of about...
  15. syn08

Capacitor distortion

Huh? Linearity (or non, thereof) is anything but distortions effect?
Top Bottom