Recent content by sweetsounds

1. sweetsounds

SMSL SU-8s Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

I owned a SU-8, SU-9 and now Topping D90SE. I know that it can't be when looking at the measurements, but I believe to hear differences. The SU-8 sounded much like many other DAC, I liked the design, but even sighted I couldn't really discern it from more expensive DACs. I purchased SU-9 to see...
  2. sweetsounds

Four Speaker Blind Listening Test Results (Kef, JBL, Revel, OSD)

Some analysis of the data. Here are the max, min and average scores for each speaker per listener: Score by speaker and song w/o the wrong rating listeners: Quite a spread, but Kef and Revel preferred, but a preferential pattern per listener visible.
  3. sweetsounds

Four Speaker Blind Listening Test Results (Kef, JBL, Revel, OSD)

Thanks so much for this test and proper execution! Also the choice of music is right, although I agree with @uwotm8 that I like to have one hard rock piece inside, even if it is AC/DC. From my experience for BookShelf speakers you will first of all hear the bass extension. Here, the Revel...
  4. sweetsounds

Kii THREE versus KII THREE/BXT

I now have the Kii Three incl. BXT in my listening for more than a week. The BXT module rounds up the sub-bass in a nearly perfect manner. It is the best bass I heard in my room and maybe everywhere. Even w/o room correction it is amazingly crisp. No booming, it blends in smoothly. The Kii...
  5. sweetsounds

Norne Audio Premium Headphone Cable Review

Correct. It is an association of a certain visual impression with a certain perception. Actually, if you look at how perception works, it isn't a one-way street. Vision is our strongest sense. A lot of information is also SENT (not only received) to the Thalamus from the occipital lobe to make...
  6. sweetsounds

Norne Audio Premium Headphone Cable Review

One possible explanation for why people hear differences could originate from something like the McGurk effect, try it yourself: There is an audible difference which originates from simultaneous visual and audio impressions. No matter what you do, a visual information alters audio...
  7. sweetsounds

Studio monitor speakers without hiss?

I installed the Genelec 8320A (+ a 7360) in 80cm listening distance on my desk and since the GLM calibration am quite happy with them. There is an audible hiss noise coming from the tweeters, which is not white, but annoyingly modulated. Source could be EMI from monitors or other electronics...
  8. sweetsounds

Creative SXFI AMP Review (headphone adapter)

In Germany it is available now for €89. Problem is the compatibility issues. Does anyone know of a similar performing holographic method? iFi xDSD?
  9. sweetsounds

Desktop speakers: Genelec 8320A, Neumann KH-80, AudioEngine A5+

Follow Up: The GLM kit arrived together with the speaker stands for the Genelecs. Raising them improved the effect of locatibility of tweeter and woofer. Looks good, too, and holds them firmly in place Then I ran the calibration with GLM ... and my jaw dropped. My setup is difficult with the...
  10. sweetsounds

On the KH80 I chose the Small Desk setting, the 8320 doesn't have DIP and I don't have GLM, so it was default. Regarding pink noise sound differences: what you hear is not only on-axis but spatially averaged. It could be that the in-room with all reflections on the table is different for the...
  11. sweetsounds

I actually tried with and without. The EQ made only a small difference on the Genelec. It made a bigger improvement on the A5+. On music I takes a moment to even realize, but quite hearable on pink noise. The Neumann had a much whiter noise pattern BTW. I will try the GLM room correction system...
  12. sweetsounds

@NeLey169: sorry, corrected the mistake, the 8320A was used in the test
  13. sweetsounds

This site clearly became the go-to place to pre-select equipment on their measurements. Thanks a lot! I was looking to upgrading my dated Logitech desktop speakers to listen more to music. My desk is against the wall, so a particular situation. Because of the limited space on a desk, I selected...
  14. sweetsounds

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

Agreed, he overlooked his low sample frequency and measured artefacts and didn't question his method. Page 1 of this thread should be changed. But I don't see any flaws in the latest 2 graphs with 2MHz of sampling, proper grounding, and 10.05kHz.
  15. sweetsounds

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

Actually, cryogenic treatment works. We use it in manufacturing to change the stress level of copper. However, electrically it changes only a couple of percent. You want to see something crazy, look at cryogenically and synchrotron radiated Schnerzinger cables for 5-digit prices. I would like...
Top Bottom