Recent content by swampfire

1. S

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

I would try a different/new power supply. It’s far more likely that failed than the Soncoz.
  2. S

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

I’d break it down like this: 35% - SOMA.FM 35% - Apple Music 20% - physical CDs 10% - vinyl I still buy 2-10 CDs a year, but a lot of those are used.
  3. S

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

I’m very proud of myself for not starting a thread entitled “Why do CDs sound so much better than vinyl?” I’m listening to a CD I grabbed at a concert in the 90’s, “Blister Soul” by Vigilantes of Love. It’s also on Apple Music as lossless, give it a listen.
  4. S

Impossible?

This is exactly why my favorite 200 or so CDs are on the wall in my office (horizontal, so I can read the title without tilting my head). I’m not meticulous about sorting, but I have a general idea where Jazz, Classical Guitar, Soul, Alternative etc. are. Sorry, I know I’m way off topic. For...
  5. S

Matching line levels for DAC and Amp

Good idea, but unfortunately I already packed it up to send it back. I’m going to use the cash to buy my own oscilloscope. I’ll check the site here for recommendations.
  6. S

Just to tie this all up…I received the Dayton APA-100 amp today. I connected my Airport Express Gen 2, which puts out 2VRMS. With the volume at maximum on my iPhone, I slowly ramped up the volume on the amp. Distortion kicked in when I got to about the 10:00 position, so I backed it off...
  7. S

Yeah. I just switched to my old AppleTV (with optical output), and my meter is now reading a solid 2.0V AC (~RMS). Should my target voltage be 1V RMS (i.e. what the MM shows), or .707V which would correspond to 1V peak? As an aside…I went back and forth a few times, making sure that my...
  8. S

I played this 60Hz 0dB tone through my Airport Express: (EDIT: sorry about the huge preview) With the volume knob maxed out on the D1, my multimeter reads .605V, which is around .85V peak. So I guess as long as I’m using the Airport Express as the source, I can just leave the D1 at max.
  9. S

I have an AudioEngine D1 with a maximum rating of 2V on it RCA outputs (volume knob turned all the way up). Tomorrow, I have a Dayton Audio APA150 arriving, and its input sensitivity is 1V. I would like to make my day-to-day volume adjustments on the amplifier, since the DAC will be tucked away...
  10. S

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

Best: Onkyo C7030 CD player - just a very solid player for under $200, and you can use it as a transport. Probably my most-used piece of gear (don’t make fun of me, at least it’s not vinyl). I’ve got a collection of 400 CDs, and I love browsing physical discs. Nakamichi CR-1 tape deck. I think...
  11. S

Review and Measurements of Dayton Audio APA 150 Amp

I decided to order one of these, though I thought it was odd that they don’t give the power rating for 8 ohms stereo. This will drive the speakers in my arcade and back patio, definitely not critical listening situations. I love the form factor for my network closet rack, but the killer feature...
  12. S

2.1 Listening recommendations for AVR units.

Looking for an “obsolete” multichannel AVR is a good plan. I have a friend who likes NAD. I just gave a nice Pioneer Elite AVR to a friend. If you find a Pioneer, Yamaha or NAD AVR with the features you need, I’d say go for it. It may be larger than an equivalent class D stereo integrated amp...
  13. S

Marantz AV7705 Home Theater Processor Review

None of the above, since it’s only HDMI2.0a. However, here’s the funny thing: I set my AppleTV 4K to always output 4K SDR, with native frame rate. This works fine through the 7702, and I finally figured out why. The ATV is streaming the 1080p version and upsampling to 4K. For 4K BluRays, I’d...
  14. S

Marantz AV7705 Home Theater Processor Review

I’ve read this thread with a lot of appreciation and some amusement. :) I recently bought my AV7702 for the very reasonable price of $700. No, it’s doesn’t do HDCP 2.2 or HDR, but it’s a huge upgrade from the Sherbourne PT-7030 I’ve used for the past 8 years. I’ve been going back and forth...
  15. S

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

I think that once someone has gone sour on a particular unit, it’s hard to be objective. I don’t know anyone who can overcome that bias - I sure can’t. If I’m honest, I’d have a hard time distinguishing the Soncoz from my Marantz 7702 in a blind test. They both sound great to me.
Top Bottom