Recent content by strummr

1. S

SMSL D400ES DAC Review

Might I recommend saving a few thousand and getting the PS Audio Directstream DAC and plugging it into their Power Plant 20. :D
  2. S

Comparing Buckeye and VTV Purifi Amps

agree with @peng, and sorry if off-topic (Buckeye vs VTV), but where the class D amps shine IMO is the power level. I've had both Bryston 4B3 along with 7B3s... quite powerful amps, but still seemed to struggle somewhat with demanding speakers and high volumes - then I purchased a Purifi amp...
  3. S

revel m16 v polk r200

I was looking to try either the M16s, Polk R200s or Elac DBR62s... to replace a pair of Elac Uni-fis in my 'music transcription system' (it sits by my guitars/amps, with a SVS PB-1000 pro), and just decided after reading this thread to go with M16s (also knowing how well my F208s and M106 sound)...
  4. S

Emotiva XMC-2 AVP Review (Sample 2)

This is what I'm hoping, as I have 7.4.4 system and have no intentions of expanding further - but would like to further/continue to optimize. My current Marantz SR7013 is fine for what I need currently - still using an Emotiva XPA-3 G3 for the LCR; which in light of the current AV discussion, is...
  5. S

Carver Raven 350 Review (Tube Amp)

Well I'm a guitarist, and always on the lookout for the best 'dirty' tube sound. ;)
  6. S

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Are you using a monitor riser with sound pads? The center channel stand I currently have has metal base and platform, but mdf legs, I plan on cutting them, as precisely as I can - to produce the slight upward angle and lower height that I need. If that doesn't work, I will build a custom stand...
  7. S

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Thought I'd share some early, anecdotal observations on using a M106 as the center channel. I'm currently running a 7.4.4 HT system with a Marantz SR7013 as the processor, Nvidia Shield Pro as the streamer, an Emotiva XPA-3 G3 as the LCR amp, Revel F208s for LR, combination of various Martin...
  8. S

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

This... the PS Audio DirectStream DAC is obscenely priced for what it is... then again, so is their whole lineup of below avg, but audiophool-targeted items.
  9. S

Monoprice THX-365C Center Channel Speaker Review (by Erin)

This is ASR, 'function OVER form'... aesthetics are secondary, if not generally, lower priority considerations. But yes, I do agree, the Infinity R series are not the most visually pleasing - that tweeter waveguide, ack. (I'm still currently running the RC263 with my Revel F208s, as I'm still...
  10. S

Recommend me the best stereo amp under $1000?

I'm a rehabilitated audiophool... and I've gone through numerous "high-end" class A, A/B amps over the years. The most recent were a pair of Bryston 7B3 monoblocks - as I've always needed bit more juice to power my favorite, but demanding speakers - in a large room, with a personal affinity for...
  11. S

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

Take a chill pill man... I meant that often times, there's usually too strong a focus for the bottom line by manufacturers. (let me offer an analogy in another area of personal interest: cars... Porsche knows the Boxster/Cayman is a better design: mid-engine vs rear-engine, but for many years...
  12. S

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

This is probably the truth, welcome to the annoying world of excessive capitalism.
  13. S

Magico M9

This is true, I'm a team of one peasant. (thank goodness for the casters built-in to the Sound Anchor stands)
  14. S

Magico M9

God almighty... those would make my Aerial 10Ts (with Sound Anchor stands) at ~250# each feel like Edifiers.
  15. S

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review

The question as it has been posed already: 'it can't be measured, but can you hear a difference'... if you can, then how much of a premium do you want to pay for your perceived faith, and of your unique hearing. (along the lines of 'measurements do not matter, it's about making a decision based...
Top Bottom