Recent content by Stoutblock

1. S

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

The SHD has two separate SPDIF coax outputs. One for channels 1 & 2 and one for channels 3 & 4 so it can be connected to two seperate stereo DACs. So if you are motivated not to use the SHD internal DAC you can still use external DACs including one to mange the subs. Of course crossover...
  2. S

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Man I sure hope this is not a sign of things to come. Expert third party objective reviews of audio equipment combined with open discussion within a highly competent group of passionate individuals has taken the audio hobby to a new level. The hobby and the industry are the better for it. I...
  3. S

Engineers are disciplined to stay within the box, scientists understand, define and hopefully expand the box, artist don’t need no f#%king box!
  4. S

Over 30 years as an engineer and another 10+ consulting and you certainly express yourself within my “generalIzation” of a typical engineer. Of course I could be wrong…
  5. S

Well they certainly are not trained to simply accept beliefs or opinions?
  6. S

A scientist walks into a bar. A salesman is peddling expensive scotch while a bookkeeper is serving coffee. Marketing smashes a beer bottle across a counter while the audiophile plays darts in the back. An engineer is passed out in the corner. Everyone else is watching sports on the big...
  7. S

What I enjoy most about the modern audio hobby is success requires the rare synergy between art and science. What disturbs me the most about the modern audio hobby is it often exposes the unavoidable conflict between art and science. In order for a musician’s intended performance to be...
  8. S

Ha! Lordy! Takes one to know one. As an engineer it often becomes difficult to discuss our demands on objectivity in technical discussions. What becomes even more difficult is managing engineers and having to deal with damage control from the aftermath of their release into the wilds of the...
  9. S

It’s been my experience most engineers are terrible at the empathetic skills needed for good public relations. The public can seldom absorb the fact an engineer is trained to question beliefs and opinions. Beliefs and opinions are inherently very valuable to the general public as that makes up...
  10. S

Looks like a goldmine opportunity for a public relations consultant? The facts are concerning but the perception is catastrophic.
  11. S

Oppo BDP-103 with oppomod i2s over HDMI card to Gustard x26pro

I use an Oppo BDP-103 with this box and the I2s output over HDMI worked great for playing SACDs to my Topping D90SE but not with my X26pro. I’m sure I could have figured out how to make it work by physically moving the pinouts but instead I bought the DOP version of this box and used SPDIF...
  12. S

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

Good point. Once you have your speakers and an amp capable of driving them to their potential, the other components are mostly in their shadow.
  13. S

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

The request I have is a bit complicated, hard to explain, and would be far from easy but I think it would be very useful. It is also something other sites don’t address well. Component performance at certain price points is easy to determine based on your testing but what about system...
  14. S

How good is a DSP?

I use a SHD in my system with very good effect. In addition to digital sources I also have a lot of analog sources so the ADC in the SHD is mandatory for my use. I am a novice but know enough to be dangerous with REW so I found Dirac Live to be an exceptionally useful tool. I could get the...
Top Bottom