Recent content by Steven Holt

1. Steven Holt

Please, for the love of God - Help me. Revel Performa 3 M106.

You're right (as you usually are), and I was going to recommend this myself, except that it's too easy for a newbie to cross-wire the speaker/amp connections and have serious phase-shift. But since he's dealing with what? one meter of wire? this shouldn't be a concern as long as he marks it on...
  2. Steven Holt

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Say Flanker, how's PSG doin' this year? They gonna contend?
  3. Steven Holt

Newbie wanting some speaker placement/setup advice

I like Static's idea. As an alternate, consider a good headphone amp/dac combo paired with the Sennheiser HD560S. Welcome to ASR!
  4. Steven Holt

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Considering the price, an economic marvel too!
  5. Steven Holt

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Thank you Amir for your suggestion -- I'm in total agreement. Does anybody remember, didn't Bose try to pull this stuff in the '70's, when reviewers began to give negative reviews of the 901 series? Those reviews were well - deserved, but I believe that the threat of lawsuit did cause more...
  6. Steven Holt

Three very different amps. Which to choose?

OH FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE'S MAN, BUY THE McINTOSH MA 5300 AND BE DONE WITH IT!!
  7. Steven Holt

Preamps do make a difference..

Well - established in humans? Or well - established in dogs and bats?
  8. Steven Holt

New to the audiophile world and hoping for some suggestions!

What a beautiful room! Clearly, your gear isn't the problem, so you're on the right track. I'll make two non - technical suggestions : First, put drapes over that window ( and take a woman with you when you go shopping for them). Second, move those speakers out 1/3m and toe them in slightly...
  9. Steven Holt

Electric toothbrushes

+1 on the Sonicare and Waterpic
  10. Steven Holt

being an audiophile is irrational, compulsive and pathological

Don't get on us, they did it to themselves.
  11. Steven Holt

Audio Technica ATLP 120XUSB

If your daughter is going to be listening only to vinyl, and little else, I suggest that you buy the Polk S10's and the Sony STRDH190 (or the Yamaha AS202). Both have a phono preamp. Both are within your budget and will give you quite good SQ. The stock phono cartridge is good, but the...
  12. Steven Holt

Down4Sound JP95 Car Amplifier Review

Amir, a suggestion : give Car Audio it's own category. This topic seems to have much appeal to our younger members, and car audio has greatly improved over the years.
  13. Steven Holt

Does upgrading a receiver for better sound quality makes sense at 60DB?

The short answer is no. You would be better served by investing in room correction software. I'm sure many of our other members will be happy to help you in this matter. Welcome to ASR!
  14. Steven Holt

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

Welcome to the Law of Unintended Consequences
Top Bottom