Recent content by sssn

1. S

Sony MDRV6 Headphone Review (with/without BRAINWAVZ Pad)

This pair of headphones has always been a staple in the "scene" and frankly, I never understood that. They sound pretty bad for recreational use, build quality is medicore and the original vinyl earpads are just gross. I'm absolutely convinced that the oldschool studio aesthetic is responsible...
  2. S

Fosi Audio SK-01 Headphone Amplifier Review

The design looks familiar. In Europe, there's a similar-looking amp by a company called InLine and in the US, something like it is sold by a company called Syba.
  3. S

The difference between the Denon 5200 and AKG K371

I own a pair of 5200s and compared it to a pair of 371s of a friend. I usually hate to use vague, audiofool terms like that but the 5200 is just better and more advanced. They sound much more open and clear than the K371s which sound hollow, boxed in in comparison. I do however prefer the fit...
  4. S

Battle Of Budget XLR Cables

Yeah, agreed. If the cable is exceptionally badly-made, it could lead to audible issues. But I can think of another edge case: sensitive BA IEMs. They react very strongly to output impedance of your source and cable resistance is added to that. Some BAs are so sensitive in that regard, even...
  5. S

Battle Of Budget XLR Cables

Seriously, anyone with a shred of knowledge about electricity should know that audio cables are absolutely trivial. We're talking about transmitting a low voltage, low current, low power, low bandwidth, low frequency analog signal over small distances in benign environments. Engineers got that...
  6. S

Review and Measurements of JDSLabs ODAC Rev. B Compared to Fiio E10K

Reviving this thread because Fiio released a direct successor to the E10K, the E10K TC (Type C). https://www.fiio.com/e10ktc Main difference: XMOS USB chip and USB-C input. Still uses the same PCM5102 DAC chip.
  7. S

AKG K712 Pro Review (Headphone)

Engineers from AKG founded Austrian Audio. They have a few headphones to offer, their top model being the open-back HI-X65. Would be curious how those measure. https://austrian.audio/hi-x65/
  8. S

Alpine UTE-73BT Review (Head Unit)

Wow, has some else ever done technical measurements on car radios? :D Anyway, it's much better than I expected.
  9. S

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 Review (headphone amp)

I wonder if a power supply capable of delivering higher current might make a positive difference.
  10. S

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

@amirm https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/gaming/products/gsx-300-gaming-amplifier-1000201 A $79 DAC/amp/soundcard/audio interface from Danish manufacturer EPOS in collaboration with Sennheiser. Has a mic input too.
  11. S

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

@amirm I am using a Denon AVR-X1600H as my current AVR and do exactly what this thread is about: feed it a HDMI signal from my PC and listen to two floorstanding speakers (Dali Spektor 6). What I gathered is that I use the following menu and configure the output as stereo to get best...
  12. S

WM8740+DIR9001 DAC Board Review

Agreed. That DAC looks kinda janky. IIRC the old Fiio E10 uses the WM8740 too. It really used to be a staple chip.
  13. S

Review and Measurements of Cowon Plenue 2 DAP

16 Ohm output impedance on a DAP is an absolute failure imho. Lots of people will want to use it with BA or Hybrid IEMs which are extremely sensitive to high output impedance, causing frequency response deviations.
  14. S

Review and Measurements of Schiit Valhalla Amp

The Modi 3 and Magni 3 are decent
Top Bottom