Recent content by srkbear

1. srkbear

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

I’ve had great success with the analog bass boost on my amp. It has no impact on the overall gain and I’ve experienced no clipping at all. I use Roon’s DSP PEQ when I need to, but the biggest issue I have with it is that no matter what adjustments I make, if I don’t decrease the global gain I...
  2. srkbear

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Thanks for this terrific review! So should I assume that the PEQ is digital and not applied after the conversion? Sorry if I missed the explanation in your review but I’m still unclear on this. To me it would be worlds better if the EQ was at the analog stage, instead of mucking with the digital...
  3. srkbear

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

It may be a pride of ownership product, but I know of no other market or commodity where the most exclusive and luxurious option available was able to achieve such eminence without representing the pinnacle of quality at every imaginable criteria. You buy Armani couture, it’s going to reek of...
  4. srkbear

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

Maybe it’s just me but in this day and age, where everything is transparent at this point, cost tops my list of criteria when assigning a rating to a DAC. Given that our Chinese friends are cranking out the best you can buy for a few hundred bucks, I can’t even justify this box of screws for the...
  5. srkbear

Hifiman Ananda Nano Headphone Review

I own these, along with the Edition XS, the HE1000se and and HE1000 Stealth. I traded in my Arya Stealths for the latter utilizing Hifiman’s ridiculously reasonable trade in policy—they’ll accept any lower-priced option for the higher-priced item of your choice for just the cost of outbound...
  6. srkbear

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

I think it’s awfully interesting how Topping, SMSL et al have been eschewing MQA of late. The cynic in me wonders how beholden to Tidal these DAC manufacturers are—is it a coincidence that now that Tidal has gone FLAC MQA is going by the wayside as well, or is it just because MQA went belly up?
  7. srkbear

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

I think the EQ is quite a thing with this unit! I’ve been aching for a DAC that has some simple tone modeling other than the RME—I already have an amp and don’t need a second one. What I can’t seem to confirm is whether this is a DSP or ASP EQ—if it’s the latter I’m hoping that they’ll implement...
  8. srkbear

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

Point taken about being off-topic. I admit that I didn’t sufficiently review the entire thread, my apologies.
  9. srkbear

Extreme Snake Oil

I’m an academic clinician/educator in internal medicine and infectious diseases and I find it reprehensible that he would exploit those living with chronic illness by promoting false hopes and desperate measures to improve their wellbeing through the purchase of outlandishly priced...
  10. srkbear

Extreme Snake Oil

This concept should be memorialized in a splash screen that pops up the minute you register for this site, with a CAPTCHA that forces you to sign an affidavit disavowing any notion that the choice of conductor, insulator, or direction of an audio cable has any influence on audio quality. I’d...
  11. srkbear

Extreme Snake Oil

And silver sounds brighter—of course it does because it just looks brighter. Shiny. They sound shinier. But don’t get those gimmicky “silver tipped copper” cables—they’re drenched in veils…
  12. srkbear

Extreme Snake Oil

K2HD has been around for over 15 years and is some funky approach to the mastering process, involving upscaling and using higher bit rates before dropping down to Red Book CD formats. Now it seems it’s being leveraged as a whole ecosystem, which seems uncomfortably reminiscent of MQA to me. Not...
  13. srkbear

Extreme Snake Oil

$459 for a tiny portable DAC that supposedly leverages “K2HD” technology, which apparently amounts to nothing more than upscaling to 192khz. Delta sigma DACs already do this to much higher sampling rates. I think this qualifies as snake oil, if anything for charging $459 for a dongle, no matter...
  14. srkbear

An amusing Rationalwiki “Audio Woo” article.

*sigh* I’m always the last one to know about these things. I got all excited for nothing. But I showed it to Amir first and he hadn’t seen it! He suggested I post it here so it’s his fault.
  15. srkbear

An amusing Rationalwiki “Audio Woo” article.

Stumbled across this the other day. Rationalwiki has a hodgepodge of aims (some more appetizing than others) but one in particular is stomping relentlessly over pseudoscience or “woo” of any kind. Whodathunk they’d have an audio woo article, but they do! It’s surprisingly detailed. Let me know...
Top Bottom