Recent content by spiral scratch

1. S

Advice needed for active crossover setting on Yamaha NS1000M

Check out the speaker reviews here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/ Lots of great options to choose from.
  2. S

I get that. There are more simplified options out there, but I'm far from able to make any suggestions. There are systems where you just hook everything up and point a mic from your chair and it will measure and calibrate for it all for you. Dirac comes to mind, but I'm just guessing. Maybe you...
  3. S

Shouldn't that be achievable with the pots on the front? And thanks for sharing your insights on this speaker. I picked up a pair last fall and have been having some fun with mine. To the OP - if you're doing active you should be measuring frequency response. And I think part of what...
  4. S

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

I like that one quite a bit too. I didn't think about Antonoff detracting from her sound, they did write some great tracks together. I think the thing that most immediately appealed to me about Swift is her songs are busting with great hooks and I love hooks. There isn't a bad song on the...
  5. S

Are MC Cartridges commonly damaged in shipping?

OK. But you understand you don't need to use a cartridge to perform this test. You short the leads, preferably without the cartridge attached to avoid any incidental contact with the cartridge pins.
  6. S

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

I can't speak to her whole catalogue, but I've listened to the latest LP a dozen times or so. It's a solid pop record with catchy hooks and great songcraft. It's not something I'm super invested in, but it has a lot going for it. It's fun to slap on and dance around when I'm working on other...
  7. S

Are MC Cartridges commonly damaged in shipping?

Did you try this? This is a good way to remove the cartridge from the equation and check if the problem resides elsewhere.
  8. S

Out of Phase

Thanks. Yeh we checked all the cabling before we did anything else. It was all hooked up in the correct manner. The speakers were the most difficult to check with tiny colour rings at the very base of the posts and barely legible embossed +/- indicators but it was all done properly. We did have...
  9. S

Out of Phase

Yeh, I can pretty much attribute 99% of my stereo problems to a loose RCA connector or a reversed + and -, but of course my brain always wants to go to the worst case scenario. He has some esoteric speaker wires with banana terminations so maybe there's a wire flipped in there. My friend has a...
  10. S

Out of Phase

Thanks again. I do/did think I understood phase correctly. I liken it to the speaker drivers moving like a pistons. When the speakers are in phase the left and right channels move in and out in tandem. When they are out of phase they move in opposite directions which cancels each other out and...
  11. S

Out of Phase

Yes, this is pretty much what I was hearing and what was confirmed by listening to the "In Phase" and "Out of Phase" test tracks. There was no perceptible central stereo image, no "phantom centre" and the sound had that widening effect. There was also a loss of bass. The test tracks listened to...
  12. S

Out of Phase

I was over at at a friend’s place listening to music and thought I heard his speakers out of phase. We played some test tracks and confirmed that the speakers were out of phase. i suggested we switch the + and - terminals and we ran the test again but the speakers remained out of phase. We did a...
  13. S

phono stage vs receiver?

You can look up the specs on those carts using a web search or try your luck here: https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Ortofon&mod=OM10&t=any&sort=2&Search=Search&sty=&ovlo=&ovhi=&can=&dclo=&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi= Then you have to find out what is the...
  14. S

(Audiophile) americana and country music? Who likes it? Recommendations?

This new Waxahatchee single is pretty great. If there's an album of this quality coming that'll be fantastic.
Top Bottom