Recent content by speedy

1. speedy

New integrated from miniDSP: SHD Power

I occasionally like the default curve as well. I usually prefer a few different calibrations with Dirac though: Lifted bass at the lower limit with an increasing slope until ~100-140hz. Then flat all the way until the speaker's natural HF roll-off. Follow the speaker's natural HF roll-off...
  2. speedy

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like Dirac's Bass Control isn't ready for prime time based on what I've been reading. It's unclear to me how much of this is due to errors from manufacturers or Dirac themselves. Regardless, it would be nice to see in some miniDSP products in the future when it's...
  3. speedy

I spent this morning configuring Dirac on the SHDP and all is well so far. Subjectively, the device meets my expectations. Dirac and the form factor are the main attraction. I'd really like to hook it up to some even better speakers, but am too lazy to do this for now since I'll be...
  4. speedy

Haha, yeah, the speakers are from an old home theater configuration and they've been sitting in my closet for the last couple years. I'm planning on ultimately setting the SHD Power up in a different room with a different set of speakers after Amir plays with it. Amir is local so it's easy to...
  5. speedy

I decided to do the basic setup last night and hooked it up to some spare speakers. No issues so far; I've been listening to it all day long (streaming from Roon). I haven't ran Dirac yet or done any critical listening, but it seems like it might be winner for my needs. Now, I need to find...
  6. speedy

It actually arrived today, but I probably won't have time to play with it until this weekend.
  7. speedy

My SHD Power looks like it'll be here on Monday. Looking forward to giving this thing a try and hopefully eventually getting it to @amirm
  8. speedy

miniDSP SHD Studio + Matrix X-SABRE Pro (MQA)

lol, here we go ;) look what I've started In all seriousness though... this all helps make up my mind. I'm just going to go with the SHD Power and give up on MQA.
  9. speedy

Actually, from looking at other sources, it seems like this should be possible. Here's some stuff supporting this from an interview with Bob Stuart: He mentions a side-chain API in his description of the flowchart (quoted below), no idea what that really means. -Source...
  10. speedy

@Vasr That was my understanding as well, but then I thought I've seen a number of posts/articles that state the opposite. Regardless, it sounds like you're right. Here's an article that backs you up: -Source: https://forum.headphones.com/t/mqa-playback-support/2090
  11. speedy

I'm considering assembling a new 2.2 channel setup with a miniDSP SHD Studio Volumio streamer and a Matrix X-SABRE Pro (MQA) DAC. If I do this, would it be possible to still get full MQA rendering on the X-SABRE Pro DAC even with Dirac & bass management crossovers running on the SHD Studio...
  12. speedy

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

Yes, brand new.
  13. speedy

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

I purchased my X3500 for $450 back in March of this year. I thought it was a good deal at the time because they were selling most places for $800.
  14. speedy

Dr. Floyd Toole' system - with pictures

They're front ported speakers. I wonder if the manufacturer assumes customers won't place the speakers directly up against the wall for aesthetic reasons so they instead recommend pulling them out far enough to move the SBIR below typical home theater crossover frequencies. With my current...
  15. speedy

Dr. Floyd Toole' system - with pictures

I read those articles just now and the math makes sense about putting the speakers as flush as possible against the front wall, but why do so many speaker manufacturers and internet "experts" state that speakers should have sufficient "breathing room" from the front wall (specifically with...
Top Bottom