Recent content by solderdude

1. solderdude

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Good luck with that... (below certain thresholds)
  2. solderdude

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

I found that for most headphones only adjusting the overall 'errors' found in multiple measurements is already enough for good sound. There is no single perfect test fixture and above several kHz they all differ anyway. The classic fixtures are all suspect above 6kHz and between 8kHz and 12kHz...
  3. solderdude

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

One should realize that also for the BK5128 the low bass response, target and reliability for the response above several kHz may well deviate from your personal HRTF. So... don't be afraid to play with the filters in that band (to personal preference). Measurements on certain fixtures adhering...
  4. solderdude

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

What is shown on the website is the raw measurement as my fixture is DIY and (purposely) has no earcanal nor pinna. The mic signal is compensated and has my own bass-target implemented in hardware. So it does not follow Harman nor any other target but my own. My target is a horizontal line on my...
  5. solderdude

Best headphones in the $500-$800ish range?

$ 400 (above) v.s. $ 150 (below)
  6. solderdude

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

NAD = 50W (8ohm) and WiiM = 60W in 8ohm so the WiiM can play 0.8dB 'louder' which in essence is an inaudible difference so basically they go equally loud when looking at continous rated power in 8ohm. That, however, is not the whole story as the NAD has a higher peak power rating so with music...
  7. solderdude

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

Comfort of the HD560S is lower than that of the suggested HD490. Depending on the age of the HD600/650 the comfort of the HD6** series is higher or lower. The newer versions have a much too high clamping force where the older ones were much more comfortable. At least to me. The HD560S has better...
  8. solderdude

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

The HD560S is nicely 'in-between' the HD490 producer/mixer pads and a more 'relaxed' and 'better bass extended' listen than HD600 but is lower quality 'in feel' than both HD490/600. Which one is preferred by whom is a personal thing I reckon. Then there is EQ and for 'spatial' properties there...
  9. solderdude

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Possible = not a fact, its an assumption. I observed that in general a messy GD (above 500Hz) is more common with open headphones than closed ones. That and the fact that deviations in GD point towards resonances are the only thing one can derive from such measurements. I don't think...
  10. solderdude

I assume they are not. When measuring the tweeter the midrange will also be active. The fact that the mic is just cm's away from the speaker in question is the only option in this case which does not capture the full driver and captures some of the adjacent drivers as well (around the XO) That...
  11. solderdude

That may well be the case. One could consider that not many dealers in one's vicinity actually carry one as a demo model given its price point. I such case buying online with the right to return seems the only viable option. In such a case, for people understanding measurements, these...
  12. solderdude

Is that cone break-up or perhaps interference between signal being picked up by the close measurement with both tweeter and midrange being 'active' ? It would be easier to say something if each speaker would be measured with the others turned off. Alas this is not possible. I also don't think...
  13. solderdude

Yet you make the following statement as a fact: Try to get a bit louder (Harman bass) from a K501 or Koss PortaPro and then make a statement that there is no correlation between distortion measurements, compression of drivers and sound quality. It is clear from research that has been done on...
  14. solderdude

M106 distortion

Swap speaker positions. Use mono signals.
  15. solderdude

While there is no reliable correlation between HD and especially GD and sound quality the THD does provide some info about how loud it can go with say ... Harman bass boost without distortion. Measuring at 3 different levels above normal listening levels thus is not for fun but shows valuable...
Top Bottom