Recent content by solderdude

1. solderdude

Help explain intersample overs, please?

Yes, indeed very valid for most popular music or bands that want 'extremely loud' themselves. Fortunately there are also plenty of good recordings around or with tastefully done dynamic compression.
  2. solderdude

Audio (dynamic range) compression and lossy/lossless compression are in no way related.
  3. solderdude

What measurements number in the dashboard leads to a "warm and intimate" sound vs "colder more technical/clinical" sound?

thanks...changed it to: Imaging – When a headphone or speaker images well it is very easy to pinpoint where instruments are and that image is stable and 'sharp'. This requires a flat frequency response, matched between two drivers, and detailed recordings. Slightly angled headphone drivers can...
  4. solderdude

What measurements number in the dashboard leads to a "warm and intimate" sound vs "colder more technical/clinical" sound?

I think it depends on the speakers, the room, the recording itself and the brain.
  5. solderdude

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

FYI.. I have been taking 4000 IU vitamin D3 (oil based capsules) for quite a few years now. It is known that older folks should take D3 anyway. I use it to get through the winter fatigue and really helps. The first year I took this I did not have the flu (rest of the family did) but the...
  6. solderdude

Would a sample-and-hold not hold the sample values and thus never exceed the minimum or maximum value, because I specifically mentioned NOS and filterless (both before and after conversion). Of course the analog stage after the DAC chip could be so poorly designed it clips before the DAC chip...
  7. solderdude

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Yes I understood. You need to either have the actual schematics or reverse engineer from PCB pictures (takes top and bottom side of the PCB's) The difficult part is not the resistors, the SMD capacitors either need to be unsoldered and measured or schematics need to be available.
  8. solderdude

A multimeter does not need to cost more than 10 Euro. If R24 is indeed in the feedback loop (quite possible) then you can measure it in circuit (power off). Maybe in Ukr they are more difficult to get.
  9. solderdude

Every self respecting recording engineer will have many dB's headroom (24 bit depth so no issue) during recording. This is not where the potential problem exists. Also most likely not during mixing itself nor when they try to get the right sound. This all happens well below 0dBFS (or should be)...
  10. solderdude

You want to modify the D50 output stage (with IMD hump) to the same one as the D50s (with no IMD hump) ? The 10 Ohm resistors are in the power supply path. Changing opamps (not needed) may require different values depending on the idle current of the opamps and minimum operational voltage...
  11. solderdude

When tested sighted... sure ..
  12. solderdude

10.0 Ohm, if you have to ask why are you modifying circuits ? Why not use a multimeter? Seems to me the absolute minimum required testing tool for anyone doing mods.
  13. solderdude

Use filterless NOS DACs.... no ISP's there. :) :oops: o_O :facepalm:
  14. solderdude

A Love Letter to the HD800

I expect taste (preference) to be a larger part than HRTF whether or not folks like the sound of headphones. The difference in bass level between K501 lovers and basshead cans cannot possibly be explained by HRTF.
  15. solderdude

New Schiit. With measurements.

Basically the Magni 3+ and Asgard 3 are the same circuit except: Asgard has onboard power supply (Magni 3+ has external wallwart) Asgard has a bit more power (only 1.4dB to 2dB more so negligible in a practical sense) Asgard is bit bigger in size and weight (more substantial amp) Asgard has a...
Top Bottom