Recent content by soapsuds

1. S

iphone to mono speaker?

I know this site is about measurements, but regrettably I don't understand that graph or the review. Is the implication that the speakers are poor?
  2. S

iphone to mono speaker?

I'd second the HomePod mini recommendation. A stereo pair of them is even better. They use AirPlay over Wifi instead of Bluetooth, so the sound is better. I listen to music on them every day, and I think the sound quality is phenomenal for such small devices. They aren't suitable for very big...
  3. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

Reflecting more on this, the inexpensive DACs may suffer the same issue because they are powered too. I'll try one to see.
  4. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

I didn’t, but it would have been a good idea.
  5. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

I’ve used both outputs, but the reason I bought the WiiM was to incorporate an old analogue mini-HiFi system into my multi-room AirPlay setup. Adding a DAC with TOSLINK to that setup would have been an alternative solution, but disproportionate in terms of cost to achieve what I needed. If I...
  6. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

As a bit of follow up on this. Whilst the USB isolator helped, I noticed it didn’t completely remove the hum when I listened closely. I’ve since tried a Monacor FGA-30M which sits between the WiiM Aux Out and amplifier input. This seems to be even more effective.
  7. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

It looked identical to several others and was available on next-day delivery which is why I chose it. We'll see how long it lasts.
  8. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

Thank you. I spent a lot of time reading the various posts here and elsewhere on the Internet, but the conversation seems very confusing with lots of differing views, not to mention expensive solutions that are disproportionate to the cost of a WiiM Mini. In case it helps anyone else, I chose...
  9. S

Help!

… You're already getting some great advice on technology. I may be reading too much into some of your original post, but I respectfully suggest that you listen safely to ensure you continue to enjoy the music for as long as possible.
  10. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

I'm getting a hum on the speakers when connecting the AUX OUT to an amplifier. It seems to be associated with the power supply because it goes away when I use a power bank battery instead. Anyone know how I fix that?
  11. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

I see, you're going to need help from someone more familiar with that matching then. All my stuff is streamed these days. Good luck.
  12. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

Why not put the preamp straight into the power amp? What advantage are you anticipating?
  13. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

Sorry, I only tried AUX IN to SPDIF on the WiiM.
  14. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

Then yes, subject to the line level matching. Since I've never considered that before, I would check if the WiiM wouldn't blow if the preamp went up to its max 1.4 Vmrs. How could the ADC is I couldn't tell you.
  15. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

Whilst I can't fully answer your questions, I thought I'd respond to get a bit of conversation going on them. I connected an iPhone to the WiiM AUX IN port via the Apple Lighting to 3.5mm analogue audio dongle and it put digital audio out on the TOSLINK port, so in principle you should be able...
Top Bottom