Recent content by SnowRang3r

1. SnowRang3r

Dense Audio Adapt Reference Headphone Adapter Review

the ES9218P is a SOC (system on a chip). It includes an amp and dac together. http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/es9218p/
  2. SnowRang3r

Dense Audio Adapt Reference Headphone Adapter Review

Very nice measurements for such a small device but for the price I think I'd rather the FiiO BTR5 which uses the same ES9218P but 2 of them. Granted you need a 2.5mm balanced cable to take advantage of both. Hopefully you get sent one for review!
  3. SnowRang3r

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

I'm sure there's a mix of both on here, but for me at least it's a lot cheaper to get a very good measuring 1w headphone amp than it is a good measuring 200-300w speaker amp. Along with speakers you're always worried about positioning, room acoustics/treatment. I still use speakers but I'm...
  4. SnowRang3r

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

I'd love to see some of the FiiO DAPs measured (M11, M11 Pro, M15)
  5. SnowRang3r

SMSL SH-8 or SP200

Just get the SP200, measures well and lots of power. Some units have pretty poor channel balance with the volume knob before 11-12o'clock but you can just limit the volume on your DAC and keep it higher on the AMP.
  6. SnowRang3r

I believe you have to hold the power button while turning on to get into the menu where you can enable DAC only mode.
  7. SnowRang3r

Fiio BTR5

Are you planning to use it with your Andromeda often? If so might be worth the cost of a 2.5mm cable. The big thing with this unit is that it includes 2x ES9218 (a DAC/AMP SoC), but if just using the 3.5mm it's only using one. Clearly an ultra sensitive IEM doesn't need the additional power but...
  8. SnowRang3r

I wonder when the MQA version will come (their own page says MQA version comes later) and if the price will be much more. I know some people aren't a fan of MQA but TIDAL is the best streaming I can use in Canada anyways, I'd pay for Qobuz if I could.
  9. SnowRang3r

NAD partners with Purifi, working on an Eigentakt amplifier

The NAD M10 is confirmed to use a ES9028Pro. I assume since this is much higher up it's probably using the ES9038Pro, but that's just my best guess.
  10. SnowRang3r

Fiio BTR5

Not sure where you got this picture from. On the specs page here: https://www.fiio.com/btr5 it shows very different number for THD+N. 0.004 for 3.5mm and 0.002 for 2.5mm balanced.
  11. SnowRang3r

Fiio BTR5

That's a good point. Some of his reactions are entertaining to watch but he's clearly not hyper analytical. In his HD58x review he said after you take the foam out it's the same as the HD660s, and it's true the frequency response is similar but HD660s have a lot less distortion and thus better...
  12. SnowRang3r

Fiio BTR5

Mine arrived a few hours ago, first thing I updated it to the latest firmware (1.06). Sounds way better than straight out of my computer (yes I know mobo audio generally sucks, but it's a X570 Aorus Master. As far as Mobos go it has some good components). Much easier to tell the difference...
  13. SnowRang3r

Fiio BTR5

I'm getting mine tomorrow. Zeos called it the best sounding thing that FiiO makes and was able to drive HD600s off it no problem (using the 2.5mm balanced). This reviewer also seemed to really love it as well: https://soundnews.net/accessories/fiio-btr5-review-a-serious-dap-replacement/ I can...
  14. SnowRang3r

Overwhelmed

Isn't the OKTO 8 channel? Do you really need that? Plus it's inputs are only USB and AES. I'd rather a unit with more options. It's nice the ELAC Navis have XLR inputs, I'd probably just go with the Topping DX7pro (which measures well) for the nice volume knob and remote (D90 is looking amazing...
Top Bottom