Recent content by snaimpally

1. S

RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Quick reference for interested parties or buyers

The AK4490 version has no letter after the serial number, the AK4493 version has "B" after the serial number, and the ESS version has "C" after the serial number.
  2. S

Can we discuss the BMR Tower?

At 78 lbs each, do you have optional wheels that can be mounted on the riggers? :) Really enjoying my HT Towers and am contemplating the BMR Towers.
  3. S

New Philharmonic BMR HT Towers

I bought this pair of the AA speakers and couldn't get over how good he managed to make these off-the-shelf Dayton drivers sound. In terms of driver costs, if you read the Audioholics review, he notes that "The $4.5k/pair pricing is abnormally low considering the [$2500 worth of] parts used."...
  4. S

The pain of being a member of ASR

How do you know its not true? Did you listen to both cables? Did you do electrical measurements of both cables? Perhaps the new cable has better electrical characteristics or noise rejection or the two ends are designed to make a better connection? Yes, there is snake oil out there, but there...
  5. S

Elekit TU-8200R amplifier - anybody built or heard one?

I bought a used (pre-built) 8500 preamp as a front end for my Buckeye amp and am thinking of getting the 8200. Elekit states that the frequency response is 12Hz - 50kHz (-3dB). Ken Rockwell measured frequency response as half a db down at 16 Hz and at 20 kHz. Those are pretty good numbers and...
  6. S

I measured 10 subwoofers.

Many thanks to the OP for this herculean effort and for the several excellent contributions.
  7. S

SMSL PL200 (CD Player)

With this top load design, I think they are trying to appeal to the nuevo vinyl folks who talk about the visceral nature of vinyl playback: how great it feels to pull the LP out of the sleeve, place it on the platter, and cue the tonearm. They want to try and create a similar experience when...
  8. S

Willsenton R8

Every year, new measurement equipment comes out that can measure more parameters and with greater accuracy. That is science. "Using science in the service of art. What matters is what we hear." - Floyd Toole, LinkedIn profile. Some ASR folks seem to think that what we measure matters more than...
  9. S

Recovering from bad audio investments

One of the tactile transducers from Parts Express might be the ticket: https://www.parts-express.com/Aurasound-AST-2B-4-Pro-Bass-Shaker-299-028?quantity=1 https://www.parts-express.com/ButtKicker-BK-LFE-Low-Frequency-Effect-Transducer-300-9400?quantity=1
  10. S

New Affordable Accuracy Monitor from Philharmonic Audio?

I missed earlier iterations of the AA speakers but managed to snag the last version. I have a paid of the BMR monitors in my main listening room and have the AA speakers in a secondary listening room. They sound excellent. The imaging is excellent. Anyone want to buy a pair of lightly used Revel...
  11. S

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

I received my Buckeye 2 channel amp several weeks back. Using it with a Topping Pre90 and BMR monitor speakers. Excellent sound - very clean. I don't play stuff very loud but I am a firm beleiver in having headroom available.
  12. S

KOSS Porta Pro Review (On-ear Headphone)

I have owned a pair of these for a long time - very light weight and comfortable and surprisingly good bass output. Koss also produced a pair called the "SportaPros" which were very similar, but at a lower cost. I recently bought a pair that Drop produces (MASSDROP X KOSS PORTA PRO X) that...
  13. S

Replacement for an old AVR used mostly for music

I picked up a used Yamaha RX777 cheap, sprayed some DeOxit, and now it works great - I love it. The RX797 has the same specs but features expanded multi-room capabilities. Both are stereo receivers with 100 watts per channel and a phono input. Check Mercari, OfferUp, etc.
  14. S

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Yes, nothing like hearing the pops and clicks and the rumble from the stylus in the groove, right? And reconstituting the frequency response using RIAA equalization? When CDs first came out, the record companies churned out crap by just grabbing whatever they had lying around and sticking it...
  15. S

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

There is a middle ground as well. Measurements are most certainly important but many people on this forum talk as if measurements are EVERYTHING. They are not. If you look at Dr. Floyd Toole's profile on LinkedIn, he summarizes what he is all about by saying: "In short: using science in the...
Top Bottom