Recent content by SMc

1. S

Yamaha RX-596 Receiver Review

This makes the $19 TX-v596 buy-it-now at shopgoodwill look tempting. https://shopgoodwill.com/item/193468798 Too bad I don’t need another old amp.
  2. S

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

I just installed my new SU-1, replacing an ancient NAD D1050 that at last developed a fault after a decade of use. My initial impression is it works, seems cleaner than the NAD, and has no obvious faults. I subjectively felt less need to adjust eq for different headphones. I chose it over other...
  3. S

JBL HDI-1600 Speaker Review

That cost is much less today at the $400 each sale price. I've heard the 1600s and think they're a clear step up but I decided to keep my money after giving my Infinity Primus 150/sub/Integra room-corrected system a hard listen.
  4. S

TOPPING D90 III Sabre DAC Review

I'll guess PEQ will be widely available when it is built into OEM DAC chips.
  5. S

NAD PP 2e Phono Stage Review

I saw that turntable and arm in a system with a McIntosh receiver and DIY speakers. I have no memory of problems with warps or damping!
  6. S

NAD PP 2e Phono Stage Review

Mine has remained unopened in the box for years now. If I ever get the turntable working again I don't see it offers an advantage over the phono section of my even more ancient integrated amp unless it has an older model power supply that isn't as noisy.
  7. S

Harsh piano recording of Clair de Lune

The fuzzy sound is likely the piano's dampers exaggerated by close miking.
  8. S

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

The MartinLogan webpages appear to have been removed. Paradigm has the Link even cheaper at $87.50, but don't sell directly as far as I can tell. Is there an online source I've missed?
  9. S

How Deep Must the Bass Be?

I saw an organ demonstration in which the organist played a single note at 14 Hz and compared it to a motorboat. The timbre of organ stops depends on the harmonic content, of course.
  10. S

Stereo Amp + AVR. Youtube Video with Stereo Amp Audio Left/Right. Is this possible ?

Please show you have a speaker level switch between each speaker and the two amps. You won't have a two button solution but your chances of fire are greatly diminished. Perhaps the experts here can address the safety concern about a speaker connected to two different amps at the same time.
  11. S

Stereo Amp + AVR. Youtube Video with Stereo Amp Audio Left/Right. Is this possible ?

Each speaker looking at two amps? Get a speaker level switch box. It's unlikely the Marantz is appreciably better than the Denon.
  12. S

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

If you want any bass at all, move up to the SuperOne 2.1, also on sale. The NHT website says the SuperZero has a new woofer and 2nd order crossover so a retest would be meaningful although I'd rather see the SuperOnes examined as I have a couple of pairs serving as surrounds.
  13. S

Best way to upgrade my 2nd hand Linn system

I still use this model as a desktop headphone amp. It was formerly in a Kaber system in a small apartment but I got the urge to upgrade to Aktiv which increased complexity and complicated any chance of resale for the speakers. In a new larger space, it was easier to buy new cheap speakers than...
  14. S

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

If you need two coaxial digital inputs, it is.
Top Bottom