Recent content by Skeeter

1. S

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

If you want those notes, as the linked article says, then just switch the HPF T/O frequency from 45 Hz to 20 Hz. I listen to a lot of classical music, and unless it's organ music or something esoteric, I don't miss much below 40 Hz. Separately, there's also this to consider when thinking about...
  2. S

Schiit Gjallarhorn objective review

No one said these designs ‘failed’ but some of them are seriously flawed - the Schit in question being one of them. No question the ‘gentleman’s club’ Audio Note is worse but the idea of ranking amplifier performance on distortion alone is seriously misleading when the other factors listed are...
  3. S

What Hi-Fi's Amp Reviews: A Basket of Unmeasurables?

If you pay What HiFi some money for advertising, they will bestow some nice words on your product. Snake oil nonsense period.
  4. S

Schiit Gjallarhorn objective review

I’d give this amplifier 2/5 on a good day. A miserable set of measurements. Put aside the circa 10 W spec, the mains noise levels are abominable. If you’re designing a low power amp like this, getting mains noise peaks below -120 dBr is not insurmountable and it could be argued, mandatory if...
  5. S

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

Most high end companies only ship 2-3 products a week. There are hundreds of high end boutique manufacturers and the stereo separates audio market not that significant ie big in the big scheme of things.
  6. S

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

The best anecdotal evidence for the nonsense around this stuff I heard was a comment Bob Cordell made about s SET + single full range speaker set up he heard at RMA a few years agoF ‘frankly, I don’t know what all the fuss was about’
  7. S

In other words ‘I don’t want to upset the tube manufacturers that take out lots of advertising space in my mag . . . ‘ ‍
  8. S

Stereophile Amplification Product of the Year

The problem is, a whole industry has been corrupted by bs. 40 yrs ago it was not the case. Companies were in a race to produce better gear and things peaked in the 1980’s. We’ve been sliding into subjectivist nonsense ever since. Worse than that, you now have to spend a lot of money to get a...
  9. S

The one thing I would say Stereophile has going for it are the measurements JA does. I always check those first, and his comments at the end, and then read the rest of the review. However, how some of this stuff gets to be product of the year beggars belief. However, the people buying this stuff...
  10. S

A full page advert back cover or inside front cover or back cover is $10 or 15 thousand (2016/17 prices for a run of 6-12 months which was when I looked). It may have changed, but I doubt it. 1/4 page adverts anywhere in the mag are much less but still exorbitantly expensive for startups. I’m...
  11. S

Qvortrup is the guy who put up one of those ‘feedback is bad’ articles on his website that was riddled with errors. Another Martin Collums acolyte with ‘feedback goes around and around’ and it ‘destroys the music’. All of it utter rubbish.
Top Bottom