Recent content by SIY

1. SIY

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Roland Kirk, Eric Dolphy, Clifford Brown, Jaki Byard, Art Tatum, Sun Ra, Dizzy Gillespie... damn, just about everyone I saw in concert when I was young.
  2. SIY

Review and Measurements of u-turn Pluto and ART DJPRE II Phono Preamps

Remember that phono circuits clip at different voltages at different frequencies. So, for example, at 20Hz, the gain is ten times bigger than at 1kHz, so that will reduce the clipping level. And that's OK because cartridges are velocity devices so they'll have a lot lower output at LF. The other...
  3. SIY

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

Some people will do anything for attention. :cool: Seriously, I'm glad you did the smart thing. I had an episode about 10 years ago (not a heart attack but just as deadly) and the only reason I went to the ER was because my wife (a former EMT and EMT instructor) got shrill and nasty, wouldn't...
  4. SIY

NAD C399 MATED WITH NILAI HYPEX 500 MONO'S

The Nilais have adjustable gain, so if you're not getting them to run full power on peaks, bring the gain up. It involves moving a jumper on the board.
  5. SIY

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

YouTube being, of course, the most reliable way to do rigorous research.
  6. SIY

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Here's a list of all the listening tests using basic controls where DUTs are distinguishable by ear but simple measurements don't show a clear difference: . . . . . . .
  7. SIY

At 44.1k, the frequency response differences definitely fall into the "audible to young ears" range ( looked at my measurements of the ADI-2 FS B). At higher SR, it's more problematic.
  8. SIY

And somehow, magically, none of them are ever tested/measured here, in my work (or anyone else at AudioXpress), at Stereophile... these are very elusive DACs. How have you tested this? If memory serves, the FR differences in the audible range are quite small and the differences in the audible...
  9. SIY

After completely misunderstanding/misrepresenting statistical analysis ("I got a 50% score, so half the time I could hear the difference!"), your last sentence gives it away. And don't know what a theory is, either. I'll be generous and rack it up to unfamiliarity with English.
Top Bottom