Recent content by SIY

1. SIY

Is nonlinear distortion of (small) speakers unimportant??

As I said before, the wavelengths there are quite a bit larger compared to cone, cap, and surround dimensions, and most cones still operate relatively pistonically at low frequencies. The mike itself is a more minor perturbation of the acoustic environment near the cone at LF. Yes, it's possible...
  2. SIY

Room reflections are easy to gate out. But doing nearfield close to a cone or dome at mid and treble may give misleading results because the driver is not necessarily pistonic, and near the surround, decidedly not, so depending on exactly where the mike is, you can get a misleadingly high or low...
  3. SIY

I think that you don't want the room to be involved. So using Farina allows it to be removed by gating at midrange and higher. The tradeoff is bass, but the potential errors for nearfield at bass frequencies are less since the wavelengths are much longer, breakup modes are less important, and...
  4. SIY

@QMuse Standards notwithstanding, the Virtins MI software has a GedLee metric included. I've been playing with it extensively for an upcoming article, and as you know, it actually is based on audibility tests rather than, "Wow, look at this spectrum, it must be great/terrible/whatever!" I am...
  5. SIY

On Class D Amplifiers Measurements

Why pay any attention to this?
  6. SIY

KIMBER KABLE: Do High-end USB Cables Make A Difference?

This is the hazard of using peeking and not ears-only; it’s easy to convince yourself of all sorts of nonsense.
  7. SIY

(Tidal) If not decoding MQA, what's the difference between Master and Redbook albums?

Can we assume that there’s no controls here? This sounds very much like a description of a sighted comparison without rigorous level matching.
  8. SIY

Measurable aspects of sound perception

It actually is relatively simple, but you have to know the basics. Anyone who's a regular here who wants to know the answer can PM me.
  9. SIY

I took your post with the intended humor!
  10. SIY

Great, now what's the form of the solution for the slanted well? :D Amusingly, it's a simple but interesting problem that doesn't seem to be covered in most textbooks, so it's harder to fake the answer.
  11. SIY

To all: any time someone starts spouting nonsense about quantum theory, ask them how to solve the Hamiltonian for a slanted potential well of width Xo. :cool:
  12. SIY

The deaf leading the blind? A piece by Henning Møller (B&K)

"I did one vaguely related test once, so now I know about all tests ever." Read the literature so that you can argue knowledgeably.
  13. SIY

The deaf leading the blind? A piece by Henning Møller (B&K)

I don't use Wagner. Is strawman the only argument style you have?
  14. SIY

Science: Are You Consistant in Your Views?

I say something similar: "I know enough physics to be able to make a chemist think I'm a physicist, and enough chemistry to make a physicist think I'm a chemist." Since my dissertation advisor wrote one of the fundamental texts on quantum mechanics in chemistry, this didn't seem to bother him.:D
Top Bottom