Recent content by simont

1. S

Power amplifier for Focal Theva N2

Hi all, I have just purchased a set of Focal Theva N2 speakers. After auditioning them a while ago (on an NAD nCore amplifier), I found a good deal on them last week from the same dealer. So far, I am very very pleased with the purchase. They are currently powered by a MiniDSP Flex (RCA, with...
  2. S

boXem A series

Very nice piece of kit, and I appreciate the clever design! I'm particularly curious about the upcoming lower-powered models. I recall reading that there won't be an NC252MP model, so what drives the 150W/channel model? I guess 2024 will tell...
  3. S

RCA to balanced XLR - will this work on a DSP?

Thanks, all. I guess I know how to approach this if I could use such a converter. @twsecrest, I agree that the practical benefit of creating such a setup for short cables is to be determined, but I do think there are two cases where it may come in handy: 1) If a power amp only has XLR inputs...
  4. S

Do you mean you don't think such a setup would be balanced? (I'm not entirely sure what to look for in the search results) I agree that it's not the same thing. I had a look at the Wikipedia page (I know...) for balanced connections, which defines it as "a circuit consisting of two conductors...
  5. S

To clarify, I'm not talking about splitting the RCA into two signals, but adding one RCA signal and its inverse to get a signal that has twice the amplitude, is symmetrical and (hopefully) balanced.
  6. S

I must admit I had to look up what ground lifting does, but that makes good sense indeed. The Minidsp Flex itself is not grounded, but it does have a grounding connection at the back of the case, so it definitely wouldn't hurt to attach pin 1 (via the cable sleeve) to that point.
  7. S

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Has anyone seen (or measured) the input impedance of the new Nilai500DIY modules, especially in the low gain mode? The Purifi Eigentakt reference implementation achieves a low gain mode by bypassing the first stage amplification, resulting in very low input impedance. I wonder if the Nilai500DIY...
  8. S

@twsecrest : Yes, I agree that seems to be how it is without active components, but my point is that the DSP (which is already in the loop) can make a difference here. @NTK : Thanks. Indeed, this does rely on the assumption that the two RCA outputs share a common ground. As you say, I see no...
  9. S

Hi all, I have a MiniDSP Flex with RCA connections that I use as a DAC and pre-amp. I have started looking into power amp upgrades (I currently use a 1995 NAD 302) and see that many use balanced XLR inputs, either exclusively or preferentially. I know that RCA to XLR connections are not ideal...
Top Bottom