Recent content by shinewu

1. S

Have to praise Etymotic ER-3/4, but they are harder and harder to get ...

Have tried so many IEMs and big headphones. Have to come back to the true classics: ER-3SE and ER-4SR. The neutrality, the details and the BA timber :( Jokes aside, they sound less technical than some of the multi-driver ones. But not less enjoyable. And the neutral and somewhat relaxed...
  2. S

Cayin iDAC-6 MK2 does not support USB 32 bit PCM under both windows and mac?!

I recently joined the drop group buy of this DAC. Can't be happier, looks great and sounds great too. However, this device just doesn't support 32 bit PCM under both windows and mac. I installed the latest driver 5.57 on windows. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling etc. I am pretty sure...
  3. S

Digital volume pre-amp on DAC produces inferior sound than a proper analog pre-amp?

Cool, now I see that when folks claim the digital attenuation makes sound "flat", it is probably just confirmation bias.
  4. S

Digital volume pre-amp on DAC produces inferior sound than a proper analog pre-amp?

I think many are claiming so here or on YouTube. The claim is that it compresses the dynamic range. My understanding is that pure DAC mode is basically digital volume at 100. So a digital volume at 95 should not be that different from pure DAC mode? Is there anything deeper than the simple math...
  5. S

Anybody knows the difference between SMSL C100 and Sanskrit 10th MK III?

Yeah, but that horizonal/vertical switch feels kind of gimmicky. I understand some folks would love it. But for most folks here, the price and performance differences do not make much sense.
  6. S

Anybody knows the difference between SMSL C100 and Sanskrit 10th MK III?

The C100 ($119): https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/811.html The Sanskrit ($139): https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/801.html The internals are almost identical, except that C100 adds bluetooth and MQA. And C100 comes in a lower price. Seems like the Sanskrit...
  7. S

What is the best way to set volumes on both headphone amp and dac?

But if I set my DAC SMSL m500 to 100% volume, I can only set my amp Singxer SA-1 to maybe 10-20% for many headphones. I know my hearing is more sensitive than usual. :( In terms of subjective quality, I do not perceive difference between the (max dac + low amp) and (mid dac + mid amp). But...
  8. S

What is the best way to set volumes on both headphone amp and dac?

I always fix my amp's volume at slightly over mid or ~60%. And then I adjust my dac's volume to reach my comfortable listening levels. I think amps in general operate the best around that slightly-over-mid range with the best FR and power. I also know that many folks suggest we should set the...
  9. S

SMSL HO100 Review (Headphone Amp)

I am using one on my desk right now. I think in terms performance, it is super impressive. But it is also $50 more expensive than the $100 gang (Atom, Magni, or SMSL SH-6). What it does right are: 1) Built-in AC/DC, no more chunky plugs. 2) RCA and XLR inputs, 4.4 and 6.25 outputs, just what I...
  10. S

SMSL DO100 DAC & HO100 Headphone amp

I just placed an order for HO100. It is the perfect amp for me: 1) Enough output power. 2) Only amp, not pre-amp, etc. 3) Built-in linear power. All while being super clean!
  11. S

KOSS Porta Pro Review (On-ear Headphone)

PortaPro is my first pair of somewhat serious headphones. After seeing this review, I connected them to my Fiio K9 Pro and applied the EQ. So I can confirm: 1) They do sound better with a good amp than from the headphone jack. 2) The EQ does remove some of the bleeding from low end. 3) No, they...
  12. S

ASR makes me go back to other expensive hobbies ...

I just pulled the trigger on certified FIIO K9 Pro from Apos Audio. 20% off and no tax, just can't control myself. Also I don't care about MQA, hence most of the problems from this device are actually non-issue to me.
  13. S

ASR makes me go back to other expensive hobbies ...

I still own about 300 CDs, 40 fountain pens and 25 watches. I thought HeadFi would keep me spending for a while. Now I have: DAC/AMP: Aune T1 (pre-ASR), Drop GRACE DAC, SMSL VMV VA-2, SMSL M500 and Singxer SA-1 USB Dongle: Xduoo Link (pre-ASR), TempoTec Sonata HD Pro and FIIO KA3 (incoming)...
  14. S

Now I understand why people love the tri-flange tips from Etymotic

In short, I think they do following: * Boost the low end, especially the region close to mids. The typical Sennheiser sound. * Open up high end a bit, which improves the sound stage noticeably. In short, they add a bit U shape into the sound. I personally feel the bass becomes a bit too...
  15. S

Start to appreciate HD58X more and more!

Especially after EQing. The bass is still not tight and highs are not crystal clear. But: 1) They are super light and comfortable. And I can throw them around without too much worry. 2) They are louder due to higher sensitivity, and definitely more forward in the mids. This works SOOO well for...
Top Bottom