Recent content by sharpty

1. sharpty

What are we listening to right now..

Speaking of blackbirds
  2. sharpty

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

My solution for using the IMM-6 on PC was to get an Apple USB-C dongle and USB-C to A adapter, then used a USB extension cable rather than extending the TRRS. The ADC should be adequate for any room measurements.
  3. sharpty

There's some new driver updates for Windows and a new Firmware update tool. Still no firmware update available for my M4 version 1, but windows does recognize it now.
  4. sharpty

There's some discussion from post #385 onward. The v2 uses a newer and slightly better ESS chip. I'd expect the performance with the new ones to be at least as good as the v1, but I haven't seen measurements.
  5. sharpty

If you have an original M2/M4 with the XMOS controller, I don't think there is any firmware update. It seems to only apply to the v2 models. I believe you can tell which one you have by looking at the Motu driver app. 1.xx firmware is the original XMOS design, 2.xx is the newer v2 design. No...
  6. sharpty

Just tried the firmware update on my 1st gen M4 and it wouldn't recognize it using the Windows utility. Tried it on Mac and it was recognized, but says no update available. So I'm assuming this only applies to the 2nd gen models.
  7. sharpty

Interesting theory about the power draw. The only 3.5mm to XLR adapter that I could find a detailed spec sheet for, the MZA 900 P from Sennheiser, shows a phantom power draw of 2.8mA, which is on par with many XLR condenser mics.
  8. sharpty

Yep, 100% in Windows volume control.
  9. sharpty

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

Yes, for TRS inserts the tip is send and ring is receive. This is also commonly found on mixing consoles.
  10. sharpty

Compact amp with volume control for desktop setup

No problem at all, they achieve the same function. Balanced 1/4" TRS I/O is pretty common on audio interfaces and studio gear. I would avoid the Monoprice XLR/TRS cables though. They're way too heavy and use crap connectors.
  11. sharpty

Compact amp with volume control for desktop setup

If this is what you're referring to, a +1dB boost at 90kHz is nothing to worry about. It will have no effect on the sound. If you only need ~20W, the PA3s seems like a winner imo. Price to performance is fantastic. EDIT: oops, I guess you actually meant the PA3, not the PA3s. The latter is...
  12. sharpty

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

An awesome Jazz Funk album I came across not long ago : The best tracks are Shadows and Nice 'N Spicy Unfortunately it was never released digitally and the black plastic is pretty rare, so the only recording I can find is this Youtube vinyl rip.
  13. sharpty

Nothing wrong with using the full range of the dial, I'm not sure why you would want to, or expect to use 1/2 the range to begin with. Arguably it's better to keep the level higher at the source, than to add more gain (or less attenuation?) at the speaker. I know it's not a direct comparison...
Top Bottom