Recent content by shanecoughlan

1. shanecoughlan

Verum Audio Verum 1 Review (Headphone)

Indeed, and while there are signs the devices are not machine engineered with utmost precision, they are damn well done for hand crafted at this price point. My only quibbles with my gen 1 would be the headband design is not idea, and the titanium knobs are not machined to a smoothness that...
  2. shanecoughlan

Of course! You need the 105mm. https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMWjwPA
  3. shanecoughlan

I have had a pair of these for several years. Mine are the first edition with the strange “cat ear” headband. It came with the original non-perforated pads. I recently changed those out for perforated pads via AliExpress. I have found it to be a good headphone, remarkably easy to drive, and...
  4. shanecoughlan

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

I have had the opposite experience with my NX4 DSD. Despite being neglected and then being overused randomly, despite being left flat and then charged randomly, and despite being used for stupid stuff like as a test preamp on a custom build… it is still going strong three years later. This is...
  5. shanecoughlan

Reasonably priced amp to use in 200w~400w per channel speakers build?

Thank you both! I have not tried ICEpower stuff before and it seems like a solid potential solution. I really appreciate this.
  6. shanecoughlan

Reasonably priced amp to use in 200w~400w per channel speakers build?

The title is pretty much the content In a nutshell, I am building a stereo pair soundbar with tweeter, mid and bass drivers direct from Swan (well, HiVi, the owners. Awesome people. Miley arranged direct shipping from the factory), total max watts about 320 per channel. The speaker drivers are...
  7. shanecoughlan

Topping NX7 announced

Interestingly the feature set seems quite different to the NX4 DSD. Unless I am mistaken, rather than a combined DAC/AMP, this is a pure-play amp?
  8. shanecoughlan

TOPPING NX4 DSD (Long Term Usage Notes)

First of all, a big thank you to @JohnYang1997 and everyone associated with Topping for making a product that is affordable, fully featured and well-built. Much appreciated. I have been using this DAC for about two years now (pandemic time flies) and I have found it to be useful when paired...
  9. shanecoughlan

Steve Guttenberg on active speakers

Sure, this is a real reason to avoid smart devices, though in fairness Apple has a different business model to advertising-driven companies. One reason Siri is a little less smart is that Apple don’t do the same type of deep user analysis that happens with Google or Amazon.
  10. shanecoughlan

Steve Guttenberg on active speakers

My take: Regardless of the potential for optimal audio performance from seperate components, the vast majority of users prefer simplicity, and the active speaker technology we have today is becoming exceptionally good at the baseline. The HomePod is a good example. It is outstanding for a 350...
  11. shanecoughlan

Parlor trick exposed

Random thought: what if we looked at creating a series of objective, simple (and non-emotional) threads explaining why power cables, sound cables and digital cables make no difference to your experience? I am suggesting this because there are a lot of charged posts across the internet but it is...
  12. shanecoughlan

Parlor trick exposed

Oh: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/22098-linear-power-supply-for-an-external-hdd/ Ah: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147610.0 Sigh.
  13. shanecoughlan

Parlor trick exposed

Thank you for recording the information. It would have been a shame to lose a record of (alleged) slight of hand in the demo scene. Coming from the technology industry I am fascinated, amused and horrified at how strange myths exist in audio as a hobby. Power. Cables. < possible winner...
  14. shanecoughlan

Parlor trick exposed

You can get them here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/102781-something-fishy-at-axpona/
Top Bottom