Recent content by shal

1. shal

Sound Devices MixPre-3 II Multichannel Recorder Review

Perhaps, but the 32bit is only accessible with "advanced" setting. I personnaly use this settting because I need this "divine" functionnality Again: it's complex machine, so easy to have a crazy configuration .
  2. shal

Sound Devices MixPre-3 II Multichannel Recorder Review

I am a owner of Sound devices MixPre 10 II (the big brother of the unit tested here). This device is IMHO excellent but not easy to use : a lot of setup that can influence the result. it can be a nightmare for non-professional (like-me). I personnaly tested this yesterday (I perfrom a concert...
  3. shal

Power need on amplifier, tested with own music track

Yes, you are right. I am personnaly surprise to reach the level of 100W (without run out the room). To be clear : The record is maked and performed by me with(as trumpeter) with good record hardware (sound devices ). So it's musical extract with no compression nor distortion. A...
  4. shal

Power need on amplifier, tested with own music track

Hello My system have a lot of headroom , I guess... Imagine : a 93db speakers with 240w/8Ohm amplifier (at 0.01% !) Totaly overkill for standard home... And yes in 99% of time my amplifer (that have meters) show that I never reach the 1W level (Yes, your read well, the 1W level, it's...
  5. shal

75 years of JBL: 75 years of Loud + Clear!

JBL, There are not all equals . My first one was L166 . Ok but not so much... excellent for mickael jackson but for classical... The second was the 4425, yes ! good ones but ... It's 12 inch woofer than cannot me forget my previous 15 inches speakers. The third 4430 (present in the image of...
  6. shal

Classical Instruments: Historical or Modern?

Hi, I am trumpeter too (it's one of my personnal instrument as avatar). For comparison between old and modern instruments, there is a short video on youtube by two serious guys: It's a comparison between natural trumpet and modern picollo trumpet. Personnaly, I played also piccolo trumpet...
  7. shal

Monoprice Blackbird Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Look HdFury like this https://hdfury.com/product/8k-vrroom-40gbps/ The convert all hdmi in all hdmi (with conversion if needed like hdmi2.0 => 1.1 or paththrought or a lot of thing). And after you can used a standard hdmi usb converter to retrive image or sound with digital quality
  8. shal

What is your stance on Chinese brand Hi-fi equipment

Yes, But name-brand manufacturers have design with all needed protections and good quality-control. it's why, i have no problem with chinese product , they can as good as other. But I don't belived that product designed for low cost included all of theses protections. I am perhaps wrong...
  9. shal

What is your stance on Chinese brand Hi-fi equipment

My only fear about using low cost gear is not how many years they will live , it is more, if this gear failed, my speakers/amplifer will died with the gear ? Ok they are cheap, they have very good SINAD, but what if they broke ? I am more concerning by protection offer by device. It's why I...
  10. shal

24/44.1 = High Definition ???

I do exactly the same. I record my own concert in 32/96. Why 32 ? Because my sound devices MixPre 10II have a special mode for avoid any saturation even the level is too big. The result is a 32bit file but it's not realy 32bit of resolution (it's 24). After I cut my record in different file (one...
  11. shal

PS Audio P12 Review Part 2: Power Testing

Snake is a very good avatar for this kind of product : snakes haven't ears !! ;)
  12. shal

I've owned speakers by.....

Cabasse Jersey (my first) Cabasse Clipper (my first serious speaker, already owned by a friend) Cabasse Sampan (already owned by another friend) JBL L166 ( The root of the evil, high is not very good but the bass !) Tannoy Berkeley (The second daemon : 15 inch and a compression. very good but a...
  13. shal

SMSL VMV D3 Review (R2R DAC)

No hate for my part. I just see someone lost. Sad
  14. shal

Purifi: which of these 2 cases is better?

In the audiophonics description : So if you have place , take the big one (better for thermal control)
  15. shal

tv screen, audio and subjectivity

Hi, Today , I have my first big screen in my life (a 4K / 65inch) but it's not the important point. The speakers and audio system is exactly the same (my main speaker, my power amplifier , my DAC and my Linux PC as source). With this news screen , the audio of movie or series is very better...
Top Bottom