Recent content by Sgt. Ear Ache

1. Sgt. Ear Ache

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

I'm looking very closely at this amp...which usually means I'm going to buy it soon lol. I currently have a Schiit Heresy driving my HE400i headphones. My reasons for considering the purchase have absolutely nothing to do with sound quality. The Heresy sounds jaw-droppingly great (as did the...
  2. Sgt. Ear Ache

Celebrity RIP Thread

Yeah, just heard this. Damn...RIP.
  3. Sgt. Ear Ache

What to do about the ABX test?

A blind test on one individual isn't some sort of "preference curve." But a whole bunch of blind tests on a whole bunch of people can certainly be used to establish a preference curve. Much like blind testing food (pepsi vs coke for instance) can establish a taste preference. You can do a...
  4. Sgt. Ear Ache

What to do about the ABX test?

In most cases we're talking about distinctions that could best be described as "infinitesimal." Differences between cables or dacs or (competent) amps...even if we allow that there might possibly be some difference (even if only measurable), the chances of audibility are minute. So, my first...
  5. Sgt. Ear Ache

Stereophiles editor Jim Austin publicly disagreeing with Kal Rubinson

If none of those food critics can identify that burnt flavor unless they know the food was cooked on stove A ahead of time, I don't care about their subjective opinion because it's false. We already have a hypothesis that explains such situations - cognitive bias.
  6. Sgt. Ear Ache

Can you explain what a subjective opinion of a device that does exactly the same thing as another device would tell us? I mean it's like a food critic saying he can tell that food cooked on one stove tastes better than food cooked on another stove that in any objective way is the same...but he...
  7. Sgt. Ear Ache

This has nothing to do with "musical enjoyment." We aren't talking about appreciating the beauty of a performance or the wonder of a magical chord change here. That's the game the subjectivists play - equating the evaluation of electronic equipment to musical enjoyment as though an amp is a...
  8. Sgt. Ear Ache

How and where do you listen music “in general”?

my "critical" listening is done on the headphone rig. That's where I go when I want to be blown away by sound and hearing every detail. I've got a nice 2.0 speaker rig that sounds fantastic but I live in an apartment and I'm pretty cognizant of making sure I'm not bugging the neighbors so I'm...
  9. Sgt. Ear Ache

ASMR Survey - pleasant or awful?

Good, well-recorded natural and un-exaggerated sounds? Just fine. Weird crinkly, crackly sounds, clicky nails, mouth and lip smacking noises and whispering and other bizarre fetishistic crap? Unbelievably irritating.
  10. Sgt. Ear Ache

First 500$ HiFi setup (Headphone + DAC) recommandations please

The Bose QC35s are pretty darned good cans....
  11. Sgt. Ear Ache

Top Gun: Maverick

Finally saw this last weekend. Frankly, as someone who was not a fan of the first, and doesn't really like Cruise a whole lot...my expectations were met. lol. I thought this movie was pretty terrible. Just seemed really thin, pointless, and mostly dumb. Now I actually quite like a dumb...
  12. Sgt. Ear Ache

Are you a gamer/gamer's dad? - Share your favorite video games...

I spent entirely too much time this past weekend playing around with retroarch on a recently-acquired Amazon Fire HD8 tablet. That paired with a PS4 dual shock controller I have kicking around (my PS4 crapped out a few months back) is just a fantastic portable gaming rig. For myself - a 55...
  13. Sgt. Ear Ache

I made that classic mistake....

Not sure what there is to discuss really. The gear you have has impeccable measurements. What would more expensive stuff have to offer other than perhaps specific different features or maybe (but not definitely) better build quality or QC or whatnot? I would say one's conviction that spending...
  14. Sgt. Ear Ache

I made that classic mistake....

I wouldn't worry about it. You have what would still be considered a "budget" rig there - which will sound as good as pretty much anything else. Imagine if you'd spent $2000 on a dac amp...and it wouldn't sound one iota better! The 371s are great headphones. Maybe apply a bit of EQ if you...
  15. Sgt. Ear Ache

How to improve your CD sound quality and go blind all in one easy step!

I like Techmoan. He's a pretty smart guy and he has lots of interesting old gadgets in his vids. He does basically get to the "this is BS" point in the vid. And oh boy is (was) it ever BS. I can't quite tell from the OP, but we're aware this is an old gadget right? I mean we aren't talking...
Top Bottom