Recent content by sfesp

1. S

$2k AVR vs $1k AVR + $1k DAC

Thanks again for your help. Subs do have 2 inputs. I’ll start with a ~1k AVR like the 3700 and my hypex amp and see if I think it’s worth adding the switch and DAC.
  2. S

Thanks. I think I have enough input. I’ll research best options for AVR. I had multiple setups in the past... going forward my wife has requested that only one room in the house can have visible equipment... 2nd systems are at most stealth bookshelf’s with hidden electronics. Hence the goal of...
  3. S

How do have both your DAC and AVR output to both mains and sub?
  4. S

Yes. A 2ch side solution that provides good eq and bass management is the challenge. Looking like probably not worth the hassle. The hypex amp on paper, 250w per channel into 4 ohms, 124 SNR, .002% THD+N is better but I’ve not tried these AVRs.
  5. S

Thanks for the input. I think trying the AVR without any DAC is getting a lot of votes. I have not tried a new AVR in well over 10 years and have always been disappointed with Audyssey auto eq with my older AVRs. I’m also hearing from most that spending more on an AVR for a “better” DAC and...
  6. S

Ok. Will dig deeper on this. I saw your other thread and someone measured the SHD latency at 25ms. Surprised it’s that long.. This is good info and will consider option 1 more. For option 2 I could build a simple relay switch. But also makes me wonder the merits of the better preouts of the...
  7. S

And the AVR would not output a sub channel. All sub would be on the LR to the SHD. The SHD has way more control to x and filter LR main and sub. You can create multiple selectable custom PEQ or Dirac.
  8. S

Ok. This is a point to consider but I don’t think a fatal flaw. The SHD dsp runs pretty fast like 300MHz.. I would expect delay from analog in to out to be <1ms and the AVR could delay other channels to compensate as needed. I’ll look in to this but there are plenty of active DSP mains and many...
  9. S

Why do you say no HT bypass? I have other minidsp and they have 4 completely configurable presets... different input/output, levels, eq. Just set one one for HT, others for music modes. Looks like SHD works this way.
  10. S

Also part of the conundrum....some hobbyists will spend a little more to occasionally listen critically to music and have a different experience than the normal casual listen. If I do this 1-2 hours per month and value that experience at $20/hour, that would justify 2-3k in increased equipment...
  11. S

The point is to remove the AVR entirely from critical music listening but have AVR functionality for most everyday uses where critical listening doesn’t matter. Also to have a Dirac option. Ive not liked AVR eq for music, but I haven’t tried a newer one.
  12. S

The SHD and any AVR both have remote functions. SHD has preset modes and with Harmony you could setup marcos for different listening... 2ch music, TV, movie, background music. An issue I had with most AVRs is that EQ, speaker levels, etc. are not easy to change with a single button press. I set...
  13. S

Yeah I have a few rooms with Harmony setups that accomplish such tasks. Unfortunate Harmony is disappearing... I guess the future is to be Amazon, google and sound bars.
  14. S

That’s the audio conundrum... for very good recordings that you listen to many times... you can start to notice amps with more headroom and lower noise. Agree DAC quality is harder to notice.
  15. S

I agree with you. My tests were listening to recordings that I’ve listened to many, many times with speakers I know very well. And repeating certain parts of those recordings at a pretty high volume... mostly live recordings with low noise and high dynamic range. But, I do sometimes enjoy...
Top Bottom