Recent content by sfdoddsy

1. S

SEAS KingRo4y MK3 Kit

I haven't owned the R Meta, but I have owned the the r3s, the Ref 201 and listened to the previous Ref 1s. The Seas is right up there with them.
  2. S

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

I'm astonished people think this speaker is worth a 53 page thread, especially given the source. Like yourself I have vivid memories of Mr Ritchie's theories through various DIY forums over the years, as well as a few direct interactions with him when this coincided with my interests (mostly...
  3. S

Bose 901 Series VI Active Equalizer Measurements

I doubt the expense of 9 KEF coaxes would be rewarded. Given the USP of the 901s was front back radiation, I suspect a good open baffle dipole would be the modern equivalent
  4. S

Minidsp SHD Power Amplifier Review

MiniDSP products tend to have a longish product cycle unless something new and shiny comes along. In which case they release it first as a processor. Nothing new and shiny is on the site apart from different input and output options so I suspect no new SHD amps for a while. Given the...
  5. S

DSP Measurements and Rising Noise Floor

Well, that's the SINAD problem isn't it. Given that the noise level of a room is vastly worse than the SINAD of even the worst electronics, does it matter?
  6. S

DSP Measurements and Rising Noise Floor

I've been using Digital EQ for many years, starting the now venerable Behringer DCX2496, moving on to better pro units such as dbx driveracks, then various MiniDSP units and auto EQ systems. Measurements clearly showed the early units added noise, and in the case of those with analog inputs so...
  7. S

Minidsp SHD Power Amplifier Review

Good decision. I’m unable to tell an iota of difference in any amp measuring above indecent. But room EQ makes an obvious audible (and measurable) difference. I’ve been using Minidsp products since they first came out, and still use one of their DSP amps. If you are prepared to do a bit of...
  8. S

Do you like AMT tweeters?

The Neo is very good, but it isn't an AMT. It is a planar magnetic. I've had both the Neo and now an AMT (AST2560, same as the Bordeaux) in my DIY speakers and slightly prefer the AMT both objectively and subjectively. Not sure if they are better than regular tweeter, but I run them dipole.
  9. S

Roon to Sonos -- Airplay or Sonos Streaming?

When Rooning, I use Sonos over Airplay. Sonos streaming adds a buffer to avoid dropouts and glitches. Despite having very good wifi coverage, I still get occasional dropouts using Airplay via Roon (although not Airplay via Apple Music). With Sonos these glitches are considerably less.
  10. S

Roon PEQ settings

If you can measure properly, you could do room EQ below 200Hz or so, but if you can't I also wouldn't do anything other than maybe experiment with a shallow high shelf filter (5-7000k, -3dbish, .5Q). Plus they need subs below 100Hz. It's interesting that the CDM1s from 1998 measure vastly...
  11. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

It doesn’t seem to in my case. I had no issues when I was using the optical out of my Wiim to my DAC via Roon. But I’m now using the aux output directly into active speakers and getting an audible (albeit low level) glitch after every track. It doesn’t drive me crazy, but it does bug me...
  12. S

Looking for some computer speaker recommendations; can someone help break it down for a noob?

You are in the value sweet spot. There are a bunch of extraordinarily good value speakers around at the moment, most of which have been mentioned above. T5V, 305P, KRK G4, Kali LP6, Vanatoo. You might be able to get the bigger bassier versions for your budget. Although I don’t think you...
  13. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

Does Gapless work through the aux output, or only the Toslink?
  14. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

https://wiimhome.com/Technology Scroll down to the Adaptive EQ section.
  15. S

WiiM Mini Streamer

The Wiim Site mentions enabling Adaptive EQ. How does one actually do this? Is it a digital out only thing?
Top Bottom