Recent content by Sergei

1. Sergei

Ethan Winer Builds a Wire Null Tester

My credentials include inventing a differential calibration scheme for a detector capable of measuring energy of a single photon, for an experiment at a major US high-energy physics national lab. Both analog schematics design and quantum effects were involved. For the record, I don't consider...
  2. Sergei

Ethan Winer Builds a Wire Null Tester

According to the schematics, if you supply the right input signals, it might :)
  3. Sergei

Do you have enough hair in your ears? Grow some more! (Re: Hearing Loss)

Sorry to say this, yet any persistent pulsating audio sensation calls for a prompt visit to an audiologist. Hearing system is a sophisticated bundle of mechanical parts, blood vessels, specialized cells, and nerves. Pulsating sensation may stem from various conditions. Some of them may take...
  4. Sergei

Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements

I found that reading full paper leads to a better understanding. The dominant harmonic in the distortion they studied is 2nd - not in the class of most noticeable. I believe their salient point is that a THD number, out of context, is not overly meaningful. Their findings are consistent with...
  5. Sergei

Why don't all speaker manufacturers design for flat on-axis and smooth off-axis?

Listened to Nelson Pass and Zu's founder Sean Casey at the recent Burning Amp Festival in San Francisco: Both are born marketers and extraordinarily likable individuals. A big part of their charm at the Burning Amp was in their communications appearing to be fully congruent: no noticeable...
  6. Sergei

Why are we here?

It is fitting that the photo is of one of quietest and most comfortable vehicles ever made. Yep, according to https://www.auto-decibel-db.com/desktop.html, 2010 Dodge RAM V8 5.7 handily outperforms Mercedes S-class, and the rest of the allegedly most luxurious cars, in this regard. The craving...
  7. Sergei

In-Ceiling Speakers: Time to cut the wires?

A somewhat surprising finding for me was just how good and cost-efficient are medium-grade studio monitors in combination with a decent Bluetooth-enabled DAC. I installed God knows how many sound systems for my wife in the kitchen over the years, and the one which she undoubtedly liked the...
  8. Sergei

I guess they are being careful, as they should be, in order to avoid unsubstantiated efficacy claims. For their latest trial, they are selecting individuals with very specific range of hearing loss profiles. As I understood, they are only pursuing outer hair cells restoration for now. Some...
  9. Sergei

432hz

10 cents sensitivity is amazing! What is your perception of a symphony delivered in a compressed format, such as MP3 or AAC, compared to CD? Do you readily notice pitch errors?
  10. Sergei

432hz

Hmm, I know 48 vs 44.1 is quite noticeable to me. 440 vs 432 not so much. ((48000-44100)/48000)/((440-432)/440) = 4.46875 48 to 44.1 is ~4.5 stronger than 440 to 432. ~8.1% vs ~1.8%. Apologies for being a stickler on this subject. Numbers matter to me, I guess the way notes matter to...
  11. Sergei

You mean like "the morning after pill"? But for a rock concert aftermath? :)
  12. Sergei

They'll have to post it soon: http://fdaaa.trialstracker.net/trial/NCT03616223/
  13. Sergei

432hz

Very interesting! So, if tuning from 440 down to 432 happens to result in less beats or slower beats in certain compositions, that would make them sound more peaceful, right?
  14. Sergei

432hz

No, I don't modify the tracks myself that way anymore. I experimented in the past with proper pitch shifting, so yes, I'm aware that tempo ought to be kept intact in order to compare "pitches to pitches". There are documents detailing professional musicians past disagreements about the proper...
  15. Sergei

432hz

I perceive the positive difference in emotional impact between the A432 or A440 renditions of the music in some of YouTube videos exploring the subject. Yet others sound pretty same to me in this regard. And then there are some that start sounding incoherent when shifted down. I guess one of...
Top Bottom