Recent content by Sengin

1. S

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Awesome. Now I just need the ability to change it with one key press and it's perfect for my use (headphones and speakers with a one-key trigger to Peace to change the EQ). Whether that's a physical button on the DAC for each PEQ, a command-line utility I can set up a shortcut for, or a...
  2. S

Juson Audio JTA35 Tube Amplifier, DAC & HP Amp Review

A distorted version of it for sure - I am not making any claims here. Some people hear something they like (perhaps even without realizing what it is) and assume that it is "part of the music my old amp couldn't reveal" or somesuch. I'm just asking if the goal of a tube amp is aligned to the...
  3. S

Juson Audio JTA35 Tube Amplifier, DAC & HP Amp Review

What's the goal for tube amps? To be clean - reproduce audio as accurately as possible? I was under the impression/expectation that if I'm looking at a tube amp, I would want it to add saturation (i.e. "distortion that I like"). That is, the objective measurements will never be 'good' for a...
  4. S

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

No one ever said that THD alone is sufficient to accurately describe a headphone's sound, so I'm not sure why you bring this up. Are you trying to say that given an identical frequency response and an identical phase response*, an electrostatic headphone will sound different from another type...
  5. S

Right - and I don't think anyone is saying it is, after all Amir shows more than one chart per review. It is a large part of the "description" of headphones, though. If I'm looking at a headphone review here and wondering if I should get excited over it, I look at the FR first (as well as how...
  6. S

Appreciate the details. But just to be clear, I wasn't advocating for using this approach to listen to music, just as a tool to play with the stereo image. That is, there are small things that can be done to change the 'soundstage' or 'etherealness' or whatever other word someone can use to...
  7. S

Absolutely. You can't, however, turn it off, and that's important to keep in mind. Let's say a new song comes out, and the artist has taken deliberate time and effort to make the high frequencies shift about in a pleasing way (in more specific terms, passing this song through a goniometer...
  8. S

Unfortunately I don't. I'm sure there are a handful out there though - let me know if you find some. Part of the issue is that the option of applying different filters to each channel separately (left, right, stereo, mid, and side) is typically not part of free effects (I don't think...
  9. S

I think it's also important to note that there is another option: if the cheaper option that adheres to the target FR (e.g. Harman) is also tunable without distortion, then you could add EQ to match your preferred target* and save money. I'm guessing based on reading through these replies that...
  10. S

In reference to this chart: Does the sometimes large (but importantly, inconsistent) differences between the left and right channels' level mean there is (or could be) phase differences between the left and right channels? I have a feeling the answer is 'no' or else it would have been brought...
  11. S

KEF Q350 Speaker Review

Yep, right here: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/eqs.html
  12. S

KEF Q350 Speaker Review

Just as FYI, EQs generated using the spinorama are here: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/eqs.html (including the Q350)
  13. S

High resonance for my placement - is this normal?

I remember reading something YEARS ago about "The case of the missing fundamental" - perhaps this may help? https://homepage.ntu.edu.tw/~karchung/Phonetics%20II%20page%20thirteen.htm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental
  14. S

Wow, if I'm reading that chart right, you have to drop 49 Hz by like 21.6 dB to be "flat"? Rooms are crazy :) Headphones are so much easier...
  15. S

TL;DR - Got new speakers, figured out the room added a very high spike of energy at ~136 Hz to the tune (pun intended) of around 19 dB. Does that sound right or am I barking up the wrong tree? So I decided I wanted new speakers (had tiny ones, wanted a fuller range). Spent a month researching...
Top Bottom