Recent content by SegaCD

1. SegaCD

SMSL D400 Pro Balanced DAC Review

Unrelated to the review at hand, but that artwork is a throwback! The design was found on the "What is Quadraphonic?" infostructionals printed on the inner sleeves of quadraphonic records using the CD-4 system back in the early 1970's. Anyway, the DAC is great, but the video game /...
  2. SegaCD

M&K S-150THX Speaker Review

According to Mr. Kreisel himself, they are "Danish-made Z50 custom designed drivers" and the same as used in the S-1C and other THX-certified M&K speakers from the period. Not sure if that guarantees Peerless. He mentioned that most of the drivers in earlier speakers were Peerless with some of...
  3. SegaCD

The general benefits of studio sound design aside, this was still the era of "matrix" surround encoded into stereo tracks (a la Dolby Surround) with mediocre channel separation. Speakers with narrow directivity would definitely help enhance channel separation.
  4. SegaCD

Thanks for testing my speaker, @amirm! I'm happy to see that the hype at the time was quite accurate, and perhaps, even more importantly, it functions as advertised! First, these tiny 12"x10"x12" speakers were 100% designed to work with subwoofers. The sub & satellite combo was M&K's thing. Not...
  5. SegaCD

Hagerman Bugle3 Phono Stage Review

@amirm, thanks for covering the Bugle 3! Much better performance than the kit Bugle 2 I had sent in. In all honesty, I think the Bugle 2 review should be taken down since, as I had noted in the Bugle 2's review thread, when the unit was returned I noticed a number of soldering defects which...
  6. SegaCD

Musetec Audio (LKS Audio) MH-DA005 Review (DAC)

I totally get it and I don't own this device and have no idea if the firmware fixes any performance bugs at all, but if a FW update exists, then a bug was identified and/or a feature was added. That's a given. It's not completely fair to the manufacturer or consumer if devices are not evaluated...
  7. SegaCD

Yep, totally understood. Besides the extra effort involved, I can understand that, from your perspective, a bad FW update may also result in a bricked unit, ending in you & the manufacturer doing finger pointing on fault and nobody wants to have to do that over device at this price range that...
  8. SegaCD

I feel like I'm stepping into a thread full of landmines, but I'd like to throw my two cents in... As someone who works for a consumer/pro electronics manufacturer, I can tell you that products of any price usually don't ship with the latest firmware for logistics and tracking reasons. FW...
  9. SegaCD

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

This is definitely a wild thread. A real decisive... device without a doubt. I'm sure this (along with the D90S and other Topping achievements) will eventually bring some interesting competition out of the woodwork given some time. The future is bright, no doubt thanks to ASR. Maybe I missed...
  10. SegaCD

Technics SB-F1 Review (Vintage Speaker)

Not surprised. They were widely available & a good deal in the day, but are vastly overshadowed by more modern speaker designs! Not too many non-boutique speakers from the 70s-80s that didn't sound like an AM radio.
  11. SegaCD

Technics SB-F1 Review (Vintage Speaker)

Very cool to see these measured and to see them have relatively high performance. These small "mini hi-fi" speakers and complementary "mini component" audio stacks were quite popular for a while in the 80's and 90's and some big Japanese names (like Technics, Sony, Aiwa, Toshiba/Aurex, JVC...
  12. SegaCD

Apt Holman Preamplifier Review (vintage Audio)

The design is very reminiscent of classic 1960's-and-on Dieter Rams Braun styling like the Braun/ADS Atelier series gear, although the Atelier series came out a couple years after this did.
  13. SegaCD

Tascam BD-MP1 Review (CD/Blu-ray Player)

Exactly, they were flagship players. Let's say your 17kg behemoth Sony was the 17kg Sony CDP-557ESD. The MSRP of the player in the UK was £1000 in 1987. With inflation, that player would cost ~£2,886. Are you properly comparing these old CD decks to BR/DVD/SACD players that cost ~£2,886/$3,880...
  14. SegaCD

Tascam BD-MP1 Review (CD/Blu-ray Player)

Rose colored glasses, my friend. Quiet transports were & still are around but mostly reserved for high end units; CD, DVD, or otherwise. Don't broadly assume this one is not quiet unless you own one. The most relatable comparison I can think of is older game systems. Ever own a Sega Dreamcast...
  15. SegaCD

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Anyone else notice that SHENZENAUDIO emails announcing a new Topping product are sent within minutes/hours of the ASR review going up of that same product? I'm practically using the emails as an ASR notification at this point. lmao
Top Bottom