Recent content by scrubb

1. scrubb

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Great! Now I can properly set the EQ, just like on my old system:
  2. scrubb

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Here are some of the photos I took in Southern Illinois. Equipment: Canon EOS M50, Canon 55-200 telephoto lens, Cheap universal solar lens filter when not fully eclipsed. I had to run the camera full manual to get it to take photos. It's internal logic system didn't understand what I was doing...
  3. scrubb

PK Sound steerable sound arrays

Nice to hear from the pro-sound crowd. I don't know anything about PK Sound. For my part, I was a small-time live audio engineer for 8 years about 25 years ago when modern line arrays were in their infancy. My company was still using stacked horn systems from the 1970s driven by Phase Linear...
  4. scrubb

Ethernet cable to buy / choose

"Your ears can deceive you. Don't trust them. Try listening again, only this time with ear plugs in."
  5. scrubb

I found out how to make the strongest subwoofer sound

The most intense bass I've experienced was at a very loud Mastodon concert in a theater. I was standing just under the front of the balcony and started having trouble standing because my legs were shaking. It took me a moment to realize that the all of the low bass (not just the kick drum) was...
  6. scrubb

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Based upon reviews here: Schiit Modi+ Schiit Magni Heretic Schiit Mani 2 Topping D10s Douk Audio U2 Ayima A07 (x2) Allo Boss2 Player (x2) Roon Buckeye 2 channel Nc502MP Panasonic DP-UB9000 Parts Express C-Note speakers Wiim Mini Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED Based on reviews of other things here...
  7. scrubb

If all speakers measure flat, what is the point of auditioning?

I would expect that if you could find two different speakers with identical measurements they would sound the same - e.g. each speaker in a pair. Speakers are transducers which have the most difficult job in audio. I don't think you'll find two speakers with identical measurements, let alone...
  8. scrubb

Why are people using higher priced dacs in 'stacks'

Good question. I'm sure your Qudelix is as neutral and and clean with headphones as options 8x as expensive. I have a Schiit Modi and Magni stack for about 2x the price of the Qudelix-5K. The reasoning was that the Modi provides more input options and the Magni has adjustable gain and high...
  9. scrubb

C-Note Speaker Kit Major Modification???

Not a major modification, but I didn't like the look of the woofer frame simply attached at the surface. I routed around the woofer opening to a depth of about 3.5mm which included part of the tweeter's wave-guide. The woofer frame is now flush with the baffle and the wave-guide. It was...
  10. scrubb

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Most people think the town I live in looks like this: When actually it looks like this: Ope, sorry, I mean like this:
  11. scrubb

Do RCA cables matter ? if so, recommend one.

I’ve found a lot of manufacturers who make other decent cables offer 3.5mm-to-RCA cables that are not well constructed. That includes Monoprice and Bluejeans Cable. However, I have a number of 3.5-RCA‘s from Hosa and they’re always sturdy, reliable, and inexpensive.
  12. scrubb

Powered 2.0/2.1 consumer ultra near-field PC speakers with no audible idle hiss 2024

Vanatoo Transparent Zero are my everyday desktop speakers. They are completely quiet. They have multiple connection options and built-in DAC. My set-up is probably unique. I have them attached to mini camera tripod stands to raise them about 10-inches from the desktop. I think it sounds...
  13. scrubb

OneMic recordings, hear what the band heard in the studio!

Yes. The AEA R88 is a stereo ribbon mic. Looks like it has a bidirectional (figure 8) polar pattern. EDIT: That's what mic was used in the third recording above. Not sure what mic was used in the first two, but they're also in stereo.
  14. scrubb

Schiit Stack : Near-field speaker recommendation

It's at the top end of your budget but how about the JBL 305P MkII? Reviewed here and at Erin's Audio Corner.
  15. scrubb

A real DIY speaker, components and all.

Yep. I'm sure it's full of all kinds of problems, but that's not the point.
Top Bottom