Recent content by Scgorg

1. S

3-way speaker with double waveguide and cardioid bass

Speaker only. Almost flat on-axis and almost flat ERDI makes for a relatively bright sounding speaker, especially at the relatively short distances I listen at, so I've pulled down the 102 and 135Hz peaks, added 2 low-shelf filters (one for bass, one for lower mids) and added one high-shelf...
  2. S

MMM across a ~60cm width around the main listening position of the speaker in my room. No room correction/EQ applied. 1/12 octave smoothing. ~2m distance.
  3. S

I am done with this project for now. I might revisit it in the future and make some changes for the better (I already have clear ideas on how to approach this), but for now I am happy, as any gains will be quite small. My current main focus is a 2-way medium-sized speaker (10'' woofer and 12''...
  4. S

The box is already basically as small as it can be in the width and depth dimensions (350x230mm). If I made it much smaller I'd run into issues with actually fitting the woofer in there. The height, as you have correctly identified, is unnecessarily large (1100mm, ~630mm internal height for the...
  5. S

I made a mistake in the prior post. When that simulation was made back in fall 2022, I did not realize vituixCAD uses on-axis as the standard for calculating ERDI and SPDI, rather than listening window which CEA-2034 calls for. In other words the above graph has the simulation's ERDI and SPDI...
  6. S

I'll add one more thing, a comparison between the fully simulated loudspeaker and the measured example. Due to mesh requirements it has only been simulated up to 5kHz. The part above that is estimted by vituixcad: There is a remarkable level of agreement between the simulation (left) and the...
  7. S

It's a passive cardioid solution with a so-called resistance enclosure. Sound is allowed to leak through the slots on the side of the speaker, and by adjusting the damping material and placement of these slots you can get very strong attenuation towards the rear, similar to having a second...
  8. S

Due to the measurement distance (3 meters) there is substantial room influence, even for such a big room (REW cannot gate distortion measurements), because of this the distortion measurements are very corrupted below 200Hz (in fact you can see it in the measurement I will post here at ~220Hz)...
  9. S

I have been working on this project for a long time, and finally finished it. The concept is simple: a 3-way speaker with full-range directivity control. Design and optimization of waveguides was done with Fusion 360 (modelling) and AKABAK (simulation). I will not bore you with the details, but...
  10. S

A New EQ Strategy (Theory) for good personalized sound quality

Human ears are not spectrum analyzers, and our ability to interpret frequency response based on swept sine waves is poor. Wide-band signals like pink noise are significantly better for this purpose, as abdo123 mentioned above. Additionally, hearing sharp dips or peaks in the frequency response...
  11. S

Akabak questions and problems

If I am modelling the driver in fusion I often just make the cross-section view of the driver, revolve it as a surface, and then copy and displace that surface with reversed normals to make the rear of the driver. It's not 100% accurate, but is close enough that you can get good results.
  12. S

This definitely looks like it could be a mesh issue of some kind (but the general trend is about what I would expect). Are all the triangles in the mesh aligned? Even relatively small gaps can create strange results. Regarding the driver not showing, are you sure there's not some other mesh...
  13. S

I am aware of ATH4, yes, though I don't use it personally (wonderful software still). I design my waveguides in CAD instead and then simulate in AKABAK to help optimize them. My tweeter waveguide simulations get more or less accurate results until 20kHz as long as the mesh allows it. In my...
  14. S

For interior problems I find applying a slight amount of damping to boundaries can often be a good idea. Something in the range of 0.01-0.1 often gives me the most reasonable results, with resonances that are more similar in Q and amplitude to reality (e.g. for a vented box loudspeaker)...
  15. S

Yet another Ripol sub build

What you're talking about seems to be something else than what I am talking about. It appears to me that you're talking about the standing waves that occur between boundaries (be they axial, tangential, or oblique). I am talking about the resonance that is inherent to a spring-mass(-damper)...
Top Bottom