Recent content by Sasha

1. S

Cambridge Audio Duo problem

My old CA 651p stage clips my ancient ESI U24XL USB soundcard input (the level adjustment is in software and doesn’t actually attenuate the input voltage), so entirely possible the issue is at the amp end.
  2. S

External phono preamps with Onkyo A-9010

I’ve got a VM540ML and an AT440MLb and they can be very hot in the treble, but they’re easy to tweak. As several very sensible posts above have stated: this brightness can be due to excessive capacitance. I had to tameboth AT carts’ high end with a combination of a low capacitance phono stage...
  3. S

Has anybody tried Tidal's Dolby Atmos?

Hopefully Tidal will add some OG Thug Music in the near future: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/21/secret-bach-teenage-thug
  4. S

PMC Speakers

I’m v v late to this, but it so happens that I’ve been looking for measurements for the DB1+/DB1SA-II for a while. And they were right here in this forum all along! I own a pair and was wondering why I could never seemingly get them sounding ‘right’. Rolling off the entire top end by a few dB...
  5. S

Naim sound

Stereophile's measured frequency response into a simulated speaker load for the Supernait does look like a very (very, very (very)) subtle eq curve. Well, there's more deviation from flat than I could see on a couple of randomly selected Parasound amplifier measurements for instance. (And...
  6. S

Aavik Acoustics U-380 integrated amplifier

Amazingly low noise floor on those measurements. Basically invisible.
  7. S

Arcam AVR390 AVR Review

I have the much older AVR350 (the model with no HDMI audio input, only video throughput) and while it seemingly sounds good in direct mode and has a decent amount of power, it also had some peculiar issues. The bug I encountered was that I moved the amp from the upstairs hi-fi to the...
  8. S

Which two phono preamps do you want measured?

I heard lots of good things about the cheap Monacor SPR-6 on the Steve Hoffman forums so, being a cheapskate, I bought one. It's also sold as the IMG Stageline SPR-6. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273903765104 It doesn't have as much gain as...
  9. S

JBL 308P MKII 8-inch 2-way monitors - first impressions

Totally forgot to reply to this. I've used both balanced and unbalanced cables, but turns out that the JBLs weren't the issue at all: the stereo outs on my MOTU 2408mk3 have very low-level hum (not at 50/60hz, but at 100hz, 200hz weirdly iirc) regardless of which type of cable you use. The JBLs...
  10. S

So, what are recommendable amps below 200$?

There seem to be a few Yamaha P2500s and P3500s on eBay.com for around 250$... I've got three of the P2500s and they work well. Never heard the fans come on ever. Only mild issue is that I had to crank the gains to max when using pre outs from consumer level gear, and that resulted in a fair...
  11. S

JBL 308P MKII 8-inch 2-way monitors - first impressions

The 305p MK2 I have here are pretty noisy when you get close - and towards the top of their volume dial, you get hum to add to the hiss. Sound great from a couple of metres away though! :)
  12. S

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

I do have a few things I'd be interested to see tested - Naim Uniti Atom, TC Electronics BMC-2, the Arkless Electronics modified Cambridge Audio 651p - but I'm in the UK. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap MOTU on eBay US just in case though. ;)
  13. S

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

Maybe something of a leftfield suggestion, a 2nd hand MOTU 2408mk3 is a pretty good buy. The Audio Diffmaker tests on Gearslutz put the DAC/ADC up with some crazy priced stuff.... I picked one up on eBay for around £80 a while back without realising it needs a special MOTU PCI card to function...
Top Bottom