Recent content by Sangram

1. S

AKM... AKM!!! I hope this isn't what it looks like.... because it looks BAD

Presently I have put it back in the box pending construction of a proper amplifier. While checking if everything was OK I was using the Listening mode as it is the default. I only started messing with the menu on day 3, and did not get a chance for extensive comparison. The monitoring mode was...
  2. S

It's a slight tonal shift, most of the effect is in the midbass. I'd say about 1dB, so it's sort of blink and you'll miss it. You have to be listening really intently and on intimately familiar material. I would concur that the difference is too slight to be of material use, but some may think...
  3. S

My DAC-A26 has this setting exposed as "Listening" and "Monitoring" on the UI. There is small difference audibly between the two. I would measure it, but don't have a capable enough ADC after my last motherboard with PCI slots died and put my e-Mu 1212m out of action.
  4. S

ancient history: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and Delta 410 cards from close to 25yrs ago

I'm still using a Delta 66 and e-Mu 1212m coupled to a Benchmark DAC2 for studio duty. The motherboard is dying though, so not sure how long it will last.
  5. S

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Doesn't seem sufficient reason to not extract as much performance as possible. It's either a lack of talent or cost saving.
  6. S

Aiyima is 6 to 8dB behind the Fosi V3's distortion according to the measurements on this site. Also a little bit behind in SNR. These point to poor implementation overall and ground return paths. Component quality is very minor in terms of noise contribution. Maybe a small amount of distortion...
  7. S

Imaging: coaxial vs. traditional layout

In most concentrics the woofer and tweeter are at the same Z-distance from the listener. The point of origin is assumed to be the junction of the coil and cone, and not the cone itself. This allows time alignment of both drivers, and opens up a few more possibilities of crossover design, while...
  8. S

The noise floor of the amplifier is fixed and depends on its gain. Even with no input, the input referred noise will be multiplied by the amplifier's inherent gain. Thus, an amplifier with higher gain will always have higher noise floor (more noise at output) than that with a lower gain. This...
  9. S

I wouldn't know about that. We often make preamplifiers with at least two, maybe three different output levels relative to input, so I guess it depends. Not all sources are digital, and not all digital sources have the same output level. As to digital vs analog, digital SNR is usually relative...
  10. S

This is correct, and the reasoning of higher drive at lower volume is a fallacy. Excess gain = excess noise. You want an amp that reaches its maximum output level when the volume is set to maximum. That is correct gainstaging. Unfortunately much modern material has very low dynamic range, and...
  11. S

Gustard X12

A close friend of mine has had one for about 8-9 years now. Still going strong. I don't know what to tell you about performance with external digital interface. Theoretically there isn't any difference unless they mucked up the USB, and from whatever I've heard in my time with that unit, that...
  12. S

Review and Measurements of Gustard DAC-X26

Will it have the ESS USB interface? Does that now have native Linux support?
  13. S

I have no doubt that 6-8 inches of unshielded, untwisted jumper cables carrying high frequency, high speed IIS signals will sound "very good". Looks like the wires are all bunched together with a cable tie. Obviously there will be no crosstalk, ever. Nice.
  14. S

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

The easiest way to remove SOIC from PCBs is to use a thick ~19AWG wire and bend it into a loop, like a U. Place the straight lines of the U on both sides of the chip making sure of full contact on the top of the pins. Heat the rounded part of the U with a hot ~260-280 iron, the heat will travel...
  15. S

I agree. Linux USB Class Audio will work fine (up to 24/96). For all formats higher than this a driver is required simply because the kernel does not recognise those formats. Thesycon had similar teething troubles when the first set of XMOS solutions launched. Amanero is extremely buggy on...
Top Bottom