Recent content by sandymc

1. sandymc

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

FYI, Shenzhen Audio's midyear sale is on. E.g., they have the Colorfly CDA M1 dongle Dac/amp for $10 off, so $80.99, which seems like a pretty good deal.
  2. sandymc

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

There are numbers of latency test videos on Youtube - just search on "latency test". Basically they all show audio and video that makes it easy to estimate latency.
  3. sandymc

Looks like Drop might be 'dropping' a HD800

It's a pity. I canceled my order a few weeks ago, when the first reviews of the production version came out. Frequency response curves don't always tell the whole story, but the feedback from (almost ) all the people that have heard them seems to confirm what the curves say. The price was (is?)...
  4. sandymc

Resolving Measurement Issues with SONCOZ SGD1 DAC

Sorry, but that is absolutely appallingly bad security. Yes, it's only a DAC, but even if the upgrade is secured via crypto keys, that is NOT the way to design a WIFI capable product.
  5. sandymc

I am confused about Ohm loads on Dave Rats video and amp Bridging & Ohm's Law.

a) Amplifier ratings are complex. E.g., many amplifiers are thermally limited. If you increase the speaker impedance, more voltage across the speaker, less voltage across the amplifier output devices. So less heating, and the amp can actually deliver more power to the load rather than...
  6. sandymc

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

There was a GoldenSound video that showed a lip-sync issue. Also a saturation issue with some filter settings.
  7. sandymc

Topping E30 DAC Review

Probably the DVD players are just transmitting the audio stream as it comes off the disk, so with significant jitter, which CS chip in the new E30 can't handle. Blue-ray players are typically a lot more sophisticated to cope with differing format's etc, so first buffer to internal storage, then...
  8. sandymc

Audio Test of Power Conditioner by Audioquest

You need to have a mechanism for (a) syncing the A/D and D/A clocks, and (b) syncing the conversion start, because clocks are typically a multiple of the conversion time. Professional test environments typically have the DACs and ADCs built into one unit, running off common clock and control...
  9. sandymc

Audio Test of Power Conditioner by Audioquest

That's correct. Unless they have a way of ensuring precise sync, and I mean down to at least nS levels, which they don't mention, all they're measuring is the effects of sample timing differences on the DAC reconstruction filter and the ADC anti-aliasing filter.
  10. sandymc

Focal Alpha 50 vs. Adam T5V/T7V

I've had good results with the KRK V-series. But specifically the V-series, not the Rokits. But not everyone likes the KRK sound signature - I'd suggest listening to them first.
  11. sandymc

Focal Alpha 50 vs. Adam T5V/T7V

I've owned both Focal speakers and headphones. For what it's worth, I agree with the poster above in preferring the Focal sound to the Adam sound. But I have not had the best experience with the reliability of Focal products. Failed headphones, and I found the active speakers to be temperamental...
  12. sandymc

Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC Review (Headphone)

Pretty much everything available - notably what's built into SoundSource, and the Oratory presets entered manually. I don't think that "correct" is meaningful here. Better or worse, yes.
  13. sandymc

Agree - any or all of those reasons could be true. But it still means that EQ in the sense of a general rig-measured EQ is, for me at least, not useful.
  14. sandymc

Have to agree. I have headphones from Focal and HiFiMan, and I do not find that they sound at all alike after EQ. Maybe that's something to do with my ears or the way I listen, but I find the value of EQ to be vastly overrated on this and many other forums.
Top Bottom