Recent content by rubin

1. R

Topping Pre90 - Difference in (volume?) output when selecting XLR only vs. XLR + RCA out

@JohnYang1997 : Could you shed some light on this? I would not expect volume levels to change on the XLR when XLR + RCA are selected (as opposed to XLR only output - haven't tested RCA only output, as I have nothing connected to RCA output).
  2. R

Gain settings AHB2 vs D90SE

@abdo123 : What do you mean with "Considering that the ABH2 barely outputs any power for its price"? Isn't it so that doing 5V (5.2 Vrms) into low-gain (9.8 Vrms) would only "rob me" of a higher volume level, but give me a higher SNR?
  3. R

I'm trying both, I.e., DAC in pre-amp mode + I have a Pre90 that I can stick in-between (in which case I put the DAC in DAC-only-fixed-volume mode). My problem is: the way you make it sound, it's a preference thing: I want to understand the thinking behind it. Maxing the output from the DAC, I...
  4. R

So from the AHB2 manual, three input gain settings: Low-Gain = 22 dBu (9.8 Vrms) Mid-Gain = 14.2 dBu (4 Vrms) High-Gain = 8.2 dBu (2 Vrms) From the D90SE manual, two output voltage settings (XLR): 4.2 Vrms @0dBFS (4V mode setting) 5.2 Vrms @0dBFS (5V mode setting) From my naive...
  5. R

Topping Pre90 - Difference in (volume?) output when selecting XLR only vs. XLR + RCA out

No, Vol memory IN is enabled in this case. Volume does not change on the display (but does change audibly quite strongly). Note also that nothing is connected to RCA outs.
  6. R

No, that's not it, it's very audible, it's definitely not a display-only thing.
  7. R

Hi all, I've recently aquired a Topping Pre90. The setup is XLR-only, so: * Allo USBridge Sig -> USB to -> * 1x Topping D90SE -> XLR to -> * 1x Topping Pre90 -> XLR to -> * 2x Benchmark AHB2 -> Speakon NL2 to -> * Revel F226BE I just noticed that when the Topping Pre90 is set to RCA +...
  8. R

Topping D90se 2.6Vrms @0dBFS (5V Mode) output?

Would like to second my interest in question nr. 1; I'm also curious about this. I have two Benchmark AHB2's in bridged mono, connected to D90SE with XLR; why would one opt for 5V vs 4V? The AHB2's have a sensitivity switch which has three options, which I think play a part in this: • Low-Gain...
  9. R

Can you use both the RCA and XLR inputs (and switch between them) on the Topping Pre90?

As the title says, couldn't find this confirmed, much appreciated if anyone knows!
  10. R

How to calculate/know if a particular Amp / Speaker combination is fitting from a power/wattage perspective

Alright, that was super helpful. I'm pretty confident that I can run these with a single AHB2. I've been reading the excellent review of the Revel F226BE's on this site and was wondering about this comment: "The minimum impedance dips to about 3.7 Ohms around 200Hz and again at approximately...
  11. R

How to calculate/know if a particular Amp / Speaker combination is fitting from a power/wattage perspective

Hi guys, So I would like to know how you calculate if a given pair of speakers "fit well" with a given amp. I'm looking to buy a Topping D90SE, a Benchmark AHB2 and a pair of Revel F226BE's and would like to know how others here would (for example) determine if one AHB2 is "good enough" or if...
  12. R

High quality DAC (Topping D90SE): Pre-amp neccessary and what about USB or TOSlink cable length

Alright, thanks for the pointers all, I suppose I could also put the Topping close to the computer upstairs (say 1m USB) and then do 2x 15m XLR to the Benchmark downstairs, or I could add some small device that acts as a bridge (something like Roon Nucleus or a Raspberry Pi or something) and...
  13. R

High quality DAC (Topping D90SE): Pre-amp neccessary and what about USB or TOSlink cable length

High ASR, I'm new to this forum. Am setting up this new audio system: Topping D90SE Benchmark AHB2 Revel F226BE I have two questions: 1. I read that the Topping D90SE has a pre-amp; is that sufficient to drive the Benchmark AHB2? 2. I've read an article here...
Top Bottom