Recent content by Roy_L

1. R

Vintage speakers that hold up

What a wonderful, cozy and inviting listening room! I love the approach of no-tv and the combination of bookshelf speakers + Sub (which is my current setup form). Regarding the speakers, I was thinking about something about 20 years older...
  2. R

Glad to have started such a fun conversation! I remember that about 20 years ago, as a poor student, I got to visit some audiophile's attic listening room. He had a pair of old Altec-Lansing horn loaded speakers, unreasonably large for the room or the listening distance. However, when he...
  3. R

I visited today some trendy-hipster like cafe, which played music through some big, rectangular vintage speakers I did not recognize. The setting was far from ideal, but the sound was quite pleasant- almost cliché vintage (somewhat attenuated treble, considerable bass which doesn't really go...
  4. R

Woofer excursion

Over the years, especially with 2way speakers, I came to appreciate long excursion (travel distance) mid-woofers. There are speakers which seem to be capable of high dynamic range, while others of the same size just bottom out under pressure. (For example, in playing Pink Floyd's song "Hey You"...
  5. R

Cat resistant speakers

I did not, will do!
  6. R

Cat resistant speakers

Thanks guys. Just a reminder- the whole point is to be able to use the speakers with the grills OFF. To be able to see the round thingies wobble a bit.
  7. R

Cat resistant speakers

Hello, I'm looking for new speakers (as I do from time to time). However, my cat has a history of ruining drivers- he likes to stab the woofer's surround with his claw. It happened twice before (and was quite expensive to replace), so for the past few years I'm always with the grills on (which...
  8. R

Recommendation for closed back headphones, ~400$ budget

Never heard of these. Very interesting!
  9. R

Recommendation for closed back headphones, ~400$ budget

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new pair of closed back headphones. I've owned quite a few headphones over the years (both closed and open backs), so I've pretty much narrowed down my preferences. The pair I keep coming back to despite owning more expensive headphones is the AKG K371...
  10. R

Headphone USB DAC/Amp without IEC

Which is the best USB DAC/Amp up to ~200$ which is powered only by the USB connection (i.e. does not require a separate wall wart)? I'm using my laptop as the source and move around the house, so I prefer something easy to move around and connect. I'm currently using the Fiio K3 which is quite...
  11. R

Big sounding mini speakers

I'ts way better than I thought, But I wouldn't call it flat. Also, I see that most of the bass energy is around ~95Hz and ~55Hz.
  12. R

Great example, actually. I own the Sonos Era 300, and that's exactly what they do. They sound huge, with tangible, thick bass, way more than they have any right to. Of course, there is no real low bass, but somehow it's perceived as such. Also, I'm sure the FR is far from flat, there is boxiness...
  13. R

Seriously? Such an impression from a sealed box design? I assumed that this level of trickery must involve some creative port manipulations.
  14. R

Ready made, passive.
  15. R

Of course, I should have said something about budget, and it's not 10K$. More like in the area of 1,500$, second hand optional, even preferred.
Top Bottom