Recent content by rollmottle

1. R

Importance of having a remote or app with subwoofer?

Speaking from experience, trying to integrate subs without the ability to remotely tune their settings is a huge pain in the ass. When you factor in placement potentially up against walls or in corners and trying to twist imprecise knobs from above and backwards, I always recommend subs you can...
  2. R

Recommendations/Advice needed for affordable (new home studio) monitors

My 3-way PMC 6-2's are quad-amped: 1HF, 1MF and 2x LF.
  3. R

Is the argument now DSP makes speakers better? Sure...you can add DSP to passive speakers too. The crux of the issue is with this vague statement that is not precise enough to qualify on what grounds it is making this conclusion (other than the user's belief and preference): All things being...
  4. R

You are though. An active monitor can be bi-amped or single-amped (or more)...so can a passive monitor. You described a preference for a bi-amped active 2 way studio monitor over a single-amped 2 way passive speaker. That is fine and your prerogative, but it is incorrect to conclude "active...
  5. R

Passive bi-amped is no more or less inherently detailed than active bi-amped.
  6. R

You're talking about the difference between single amped vs. bi-amped, not active vs. passive.
  7. R

All speakers are unpowered until you amplify them. Whether the amp is in the speaker chassis or outside the speaker chassis has no bearing on whether one approach is more "detailed."
  8. R

How much does your main stereo system cost?

Does a mastering rig count as a main system? :D
  9. R

Analysis of Paper on Measurements of RCA Cables by Kunchur (Video)

How the hell did this (edit: the last paper) past muster in peer review? I thought AES was a serious endeavor. Guess not.
  10. R

Chord Hugo TT2 DAC Review (video)

You can get top-tier professional conversion -- the same ones mastering engineers use --- for LESS money than this and get more features, better performance, better usability, better appearance (IMO), etc. Why would anybody buy this?
  11. R

Gryphon Apex Stereo power amplifier Measurements (Stereophile)

All I see with that design is an abstract bull...which might be a fitting metaphor for what it puts out given the test results.
  12. R

Adam A4V Monitor Review

That's a pretty gnarly dip at 1K. Gotta really love that ribbon tweeter and be in a price pickle to settle on these.
  13. R

Active monitors all the way. No reason to go passive in 2022. At a $1K price point, I'd be looking at the used market. I can't make a specific recommendation other than stick with brands that make reputable, purpose-built professional products -- Neumann, Focal, Genelec. Generally, I'd stay away...
  14. R

Is it OK to externally cut the power on an audio interface (and what about more amps)?

Depending on your setup, the order in which you turn things on might matter...turn your amps on before your speakers (edit: which i guess in a passive speaker setup doesn't happen...turn DOWN the volume on your amps before turning them on or off) so you don't risk big pops hurting your speakers...
Top Bottom