Recent content by Robh3606

1. R

Charged coupled crossovers? Measurements? Proof?

There is a 10k series resistor for each diode so there is no current loss. It's all the caps used in the network. Rob :)
  2. R

Why are there no female Audiophiles?

Simple really they think we are nuts!!!
  3. R

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

I like my pair just fine. Why all the hand ringing over THD measurements?? Easy to measure but not meaningful especially 2nd. Rob :) https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/the-gedlee-metric-demystified.287291/
  4. R

Why do passive speakers still exist?

That's your choice. Depending on the rarity and cost of replacement diaphragms, if available, it doesn't hurt to have them in place just in case. I would hate to cook a Be driver or diaphragm as the cost is crazy compared to the cost of the capacitor. It's belt and suspenders as far as home pro...
  5. R

In almost all cases the vintage monitors or active systems would just use a single series protection capacitor to keep DC or thumps from damaging HF drivers. If you go through the older crossover manuals there are suggested values vs crossover frequency. Rob :)
  6. R

JBL M2 Clone

They are for CD protection and attenuation to reduce hiss. You can do a passive version if you have the know how and have the tools. I designed a passive M2 using the 2216nd in a cabinet of my own design and a different compression driver. It can certainly be done. Rob :)
  7. R

Hello FYI that protection capacitor is used as a pole in the crossover and is accounted for in the DSP. If you tried to run the M2 without it it wouldn't work properly. As far as passive bi-amping I understand it is used but to really bi-amp you need to use a line level crossover. Running both...
  8. R

It's really simple add a line level crossover you are now active. It doesn't matter if there are passive components in the mix. These terms go back 50's/60's long before you had the multitude of all in one box speaker systems that are available today. In the 70's if you ran an active system or...
  9. R

All of the vintage JBL used active line level crossovers. Passive bi-amping is not bi-amping at all. So how do you define the M2 as Passive or Active??? Rob :)
  10. R

OK I can see that. Let say you have a vintage JBL monitor system running in bi-amp mode. If someone asked you: Are you running them active or passive?? how would you answer?? Rob :)
  11. R

Actually that's nonsense. When you bi-amp a system many times parts of the passive crossover stay in place such as attenuation and response tailoring. When you bi-amp you introduce a line level crossover and system is now an active one. Rob :)
  12. R

As soon as you introduce a line level crossover be it Analog or Digital you have an active speaker system. Any system that uses compression drivers will also always have a series capacitor to protect against DC and turn on thumps from the amps. Passive components have been used as part of...
  13. R

I was not playing trap the idiot and my wording was off. Should have said active also your are correct nothing was a poor choice but I knew what I meant and missed the mark. The point was even with passive components in the mix you can still have an active line level system...
  14. R

OK So by your definition this is a passive speaker: https://jblpro.com/en/products/m2 @ MarkS Bad??? Why?? Or is that sarcasm?? Rob :)
  15. R

So what would you call a speaker system that uses a protection capacitor and passive attenuation on the compression driver but nothing on any other drivers??? Rob :)
Top Bottom