Recent content by rillettes

1. rillettes

Kef LS50 meta (+ sub + Benchmark AHB2) or Genelec 8331a (+ sub)

The noise level is exactly the same with or without the -20dB switched raised. Which I find... unexpected. Test protocol: - power up the speaker with all switches lowered (which implies no GLM correction) - play music - raise the -20dB switch: the volume is lowered significantly - stop the...
  2. rillettes

I have an integrated amp, which indeed produces hiss when cranked to full power. But that noise is generated from its preamp section. In AV mode, which is just power amp mode, without any source connected, there's no hiss. Now when I connect my minidsp to this AV input, then I get a hiss. This...
  3. rillettes

There is where we disagree / I don't understand you. A power amp always operates at full gain (modulo the sensitivity switch for some of them).
  4. rillettes

I recently received a pair of 8351b (for another installation in my house), first time I listened to Genelecs. 1. They're awesome in so many ways... The most striking is how well low bass is integrated with the rest of the spectrum. I've listened to a lot of fancy gear in my life, including...
  5. rillettes

I used to have a passive installation, with rather efficient speakers, a power amp, and a source which was a little noisy, and could hear a hiss even from a few meters. It was driving me crazy. If the 8331's have a hiss with no sources connected, it'll definitely be a deal breaker for me. I'd...
  6. rillettes

tbh passive amplifiers aren't something I expect either :D Back on topic, I strongly believe that in your case the hiss was coming from the MOTU. And if I go the Genelec route, I plan to use its digital input so noise from an analog input won't be a problem (or worst case, if I use an external...
  7. rillettes

@lc155 What input are you using, and what controls the volume ? Correct me if I'm wrong but an amp is not hissing because it's at full power, otherwise all amps would do that (an integrated amplifier is just a power amp at full power, and a preamp section in the same box). A Benchmark AHB2 + Kef...
  8. rillettes

That's quite surprising, given the distances Genelec recommends (https://images.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn055a4v/VJ4jtiy5Qhis8rdA8N8Be/26652bacdda628ee63e7587d240c3946/correct-monitors-spl-chart.jpg?w=930). Is this from personal experience, or is it reported somewhere ?
  9. rillettes

Thanks for all the replies. At first I was confused by the suggestion of a high-pass filter. But now if I understand correctly, this is to ease the load on the LS50's woofers, so that they can produce mids with lower distortion, and leave a larger spectrum in the lows to the sub(s), also...
  10. rillettes

In which (measurable) way are they miles ahead ? @Marc v E mentioned the slope under 100Hz (which would be compensated by the sub integration ?). I can also imagine that GLM will make EQ easier, but this is a less important criteria for me than sound quality.
  11. rillettes

Why would it be needed ? Is it due to flaws with the sub's crossover ?
  12. rillettes

Genelec seem to suggest the 7360 to go with the 8331s ? https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors
  13. rillettes

Hi, I'm about to pull the trigger for my desktop setup, but would like to share thoughts before I do so. I'm looking for a pair of speakers to put on my desktop, to listen to music while working. In a small (14 sqm / 150 sqft), treated room. I sometimes listen at high, but not extreme SPLs...
Top Bottom