Recent content by Rick Sykora

1. Rick Sykora

New Purifi 6.5 midwoofer

Purifi is previewing a new woofer and a couple of midranges based on the same improved IM tech as the original offerings. Here is the pic of the new woofer sporting an aluminum cone and better T/S parameters for vented alignments. More details here. One negative is a yet even higher price...
  2. Rick Sykora

How can I take (simpler) measurements like what Amir does?

I was looking to do just what you want (actually a bit more) and @NTK suggested QuantAsylum a couple of years ago. I bought a QA401 and am very pleased. The advantage it has is an ecosystem built around doing audio measurements. The software and support make it much easier than buying more...
  3. Rick Sykora

Douk VU2 Review (VU Meter/Input Selector)

Correct. For comparison, here is back panel of the VU3…
  4. Rick Sykora

Directiva r1 speaker build using Denovo flat pack

Thanks for sharing. What are you using as audio interface? Are you using minidsp too? I encountered an ASIO issue when I tried to use my QA401 as an audio interface with minidsp.
  5. Rick Sykora

Thanks for the memory! Used to own one. :D
  6. Rick Sykora

Once you have the equipment set up according to the VCAD instructions for REW. There are some additional steps to consider... The tweeter is unprotected from too much power or over excursion. The traditional way to protect it would be to add a capacitor in series with it. This requires that...
  7. Rick Sykora

Had a comparable experience with the Douk VU3 until I put a dummy speaker load on the outputs. I was measuring frequency response, but now thinking I should try a distortion test too…
  8. Rick Sykora

This is a VU3 and the review unit is a VU2. Am evaluating the VU3 for a customer. It is a speaker switch and the VUs get their signal from it. This pic is not from a golden sample btw, the boards are as clean as I have ever seen and parts designations are well done too.
  9. Rick Sykora

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

Hi folks! A couple of quick notes for those following this thread. Thanks to the effort of @AdamG247, I had some content moved from the build thread to here. The build thread was getting cluttered by some interesting discussion but would be distracting for someone trying to build a r1 speaker...
  10. Rick Sykora

First, as it caused some grief earlier in the project, let's take a look at setting up a minimal measurement system. This is one area where there is a departure for many who might have thought that a USB mic and REW were sufficient. Here is a list of the needed parts for developing a (active)...
  11. Rick Sykora

So, while I wait for Amir to start testing his speaker with the supplied crossover (we will post once we validate the VCAD sim and his measurements match), thought I would share a bit more of my testing and a simple crossover development for r1. I am still iterating as I have looked at designs...
  12. Rick Sykora

Getting Started with a QuantAsylum Audio Analyzer

Also you might want a set of these... Proster 100 MHz Oscilloscope Clip Probes with BNC to Mini Grabber Test Lead Kit BNC to Mini-Grabber Clips Oscilloscope Probe: AmazonSmile: Industrial & Scientific If you do not want probes, I find the test clips to be very handy. :)
  13. Rick Sykora

VTV Purifi Amplifier With SIL 994EnH-Ticha Pro Buffer Review

Btw, if after looking into it, you rather not spend the money on the QA402, can arrange to have your amp shipped to me and will measure and as I have done for others. I only charge $20 for the analysis. If I find issues, can either recommend a fix or offer to fix for a small fee. :cool:
  14. Rick Sykora

CBT Harman Kardon Radiance 2400

Due to individual drivers, even the curved CBT is an approximation of the LeGendre shading. but Rick Craig felt it was much better than the DSP approach. He worked with Don Keele and built a bunch of different CBTs. Don Keele has a AES presentation and paper that compares the different...
  15. Rick Sykora

Getting Started with a QuantAsylum Audio Analyzer

Btw, no need for a power supply, but you do need a good USB printer cable to power the analyzer. Most of the parts list in my original post can be found on the QA401 page. For some reason, they did not repeat it for the QA402. I own a QA401, so there might be some aspects that are different for...
Top Bottom